Mothers who breastfed, how did you wean baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ours weaned themselves at 12 months.. They were drinking out of a cup at 9-10 months so it was an easy transition. I changed over to whole milk at 12 months and they were fine..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I started out with formula once or twice a day (at 10 1/2 months), and just moved up from there. The day I started my BC, I did all formula, and she was fine with it. Seemed like she didnt miss it at all. I switched to regular cow's milk at around 11 months, which is solely what shes drinking right now.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• very slowly. . . I dropped a feeding each week starting with naptime (replaced with stories and rocking) then dropped morning feeding replacing it with a sippy of milk (hubby gave the milk sippy the first 2 times) then slowly replaced the night time feeding over a few weeks but cutting 5 minutes each week and replacing it with a story and rocking. Please understand that my son was 16 months old when I started weaning.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• When he turned 1, I started feeding breakfast first and nursing second only if he still seemed hungry. By fifteen months, he was fully weaned, always replacing nursing with a meal and offering the boob after if he seemed to need it. Pre naps and bedtime were the last ones to go.
    We actually tried to night wean him first, which was an absolute, utter disaster.
    You have to take your child's personality into account. For some, nights and naps are easiest to drop, for others, those are the last ones.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I did nothing at all. "Don't offer and don't refuse" worked fine here. It's just what the name says. If he asked, I didn't say no. But I never offered either. He weaned at 26 months and I was fine with that.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It was a very natural process. She completely self-weaned by 23 months.

There is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• my son self weaned at 20 months.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 7:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009