bad grades and kicked out of school

my daughter goes to an accelerated highschool and must maintain a gpa. she is flunking one class right now. I told her if she goes on probation she is grounded the entire spring semester. I just grounded her until she gets this grade up. Worse case scenario, she doesnt get the grade up and goes on probation she will be grounded proximately 5 1/2 months. that is obviously too long. Any ideas on how I should handle this?

We already mapped out how to raise her grades and such. She refused to do the work, that is why I am mad. If the school was too hard and she gave an honest effort I wouldn't be upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You could make the grounding progressively conditional upon the grade...I'm not sure what your standard of an okay grade is. But you can increase the number of hours or days off (per week) in the grounding as her grade goes back up.

Just be consistent and firm with the details of how you set it up.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• She has to make her own choices on whether or not she passes or fails. My son is failing history and will at this point have to go to Summer School. His choice if he chooses not to do the work. Grounding wont help, it doesn't teach them life lessons that way and they will just become resentful. I was grounded in high school and it didn't help me much.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If she refused she doesn't need to be there. She is using refusal to control you. Just say ok and send her back to her old school where she will be bored. she might change her tune.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 2:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My daughter also attends an academically advanced school. She is in her third year of a six year program. We had to deal with her failing honors geometry last year.

I will be happy to talk to you about this; contact me anytime offlist. I strongly recommend that you and your daughter each visit with her guidance counselor.

Good luck, I know first hand how worrisome this is.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Ask her what she would do if she were you and you were the defiant teen toying with her education. Sometimes smart kids can figure it all out. I don't think the grounding will work. Smart kids adapt. Make her use her brain. Stimulate her to think and fix things herself.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009