How can I get my 8 yo daughter to talk to me?

It seems lately she has been angry and she certainly has been acting out. I do not know how to get her to talk to me about what ever it is that is bothering her. I try and try and some of the answers she gives me makes me wonder if she even knows why she is acting up. She screams, kicks, and hits and then gets mad at me when I try to tell her that what she is doing is uncalled for and completely out of hand. She pushes and pushes until I feel like I am going to implode! What can I do?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 9:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe you should take her somewhere she likes, that way she is a better mood. Then ask her what is upsetting her, and that you love her and want to find out why so you can help her. Hopefully, maybe she will let you know what is bothering her. My son is 8 and he does the same thing. One minute he a sweety pie and the next he gets so upset about nothing. Maybe its the age.
    Lor7387

Answer by Lor7387 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I started puberty at 8 so it's possible her hormones are starting up and you could be right, she doesn't understand. Give her the talk and make her feel better.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Eight is when the "big girl" hormones start kicking in. Make sure that your daughter understands that this may be why she feels so crazy; my mom never had that conversation with me, and it made my adolescenceso much more difficult. My daughter was much better prepared psychologically for all of the physical and emotional changes.

Schedule some special mother/daughter time every week. Ask her about school: what is her favorite subject:? what has she done this year that she is proud of? etc.

Good luck...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2009