when to start rice cereal

Sassykat1031

Asked by Sassykat1031 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months...I miss those days :( lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• we just started this week.. my daughter is 6 months and 2 weeks and loving it! we've tried sweet potatoes and she's enjoyed those as well.. i'm nervous for the stinky poops to come on though
    gratefulmama050

Answer by gratefulmama050 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I started at 4 months.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My daughter's pediatrician said 4 months, but I'm not going to use it at all. I told him I wanted to wait until she was at least 6 months and just start her on the first foods when she was ready.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my ds will be 3 months on the 26th an we started baby food 2 days ago a little before his bedtime bottle first time he's slept all night and so far so good the poops dont smell as bad as just formula poops did he now sleeps from 8pm -7am he's happy im happy i get to sleep all night everyones happy....the cereal didnt work at all
    Anonymous

• Never. Babies don't need rice cereal, jar baby food, baby puffs, or any of that baby stuff.

You can can start with banana, sweet potato, or avocado at 6 months. Mash with a fork and let the baby feed itself.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I started my son at 3 months.
    coffeemama1776

Answer by coffeemama1776 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Don't start foods before 6 months (the gut needs time to mature -- starting too early can lead to problems later). And go with normal table food. Rice cereal not only tastes like paste but it has little, if any, nutritional value. All that jarred food is just a ploy to get your money...half of it you are paying for is water!   Food before 1 is just for fun...rememer that.

http://www.superbabyfoods.com   and   http://www.babyledweaning.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• And i wanted to add that the baby should be able to Sit Up on his/her own, needs to have lost the tongue thrust reflex, and should show interest in food. A baby should never be inclined to eat and one should never bypass a baby's tongue thrust reflex as this can lead to choking. If the tongue thrusts it out and you spend more time scraping their face clean of bland puree then the baby is way too young. If the food you are feeding is pureed to a liquid consistency in order to be ingested...baby is also too young.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Didn't. Infant cereal is gunk and junk...it's amazing our kids eat anything else when they get that stuff as their first taste of solids.

Mashed banana, six months.

Infant cereal *is* good for sick parakeets, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2009