What is the proper way to call in to work when you are sick?

I had to miss work for 2 1/2 days last week due to me being sick. When I called my boss early that morning I was half out of it but I think I basically told her that I was sick and would not be coming into work that day. I seem to fumble up my words on things like this though. So, what is the proper way to call in sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I love leaving a message! lol It's so awkward calling out!
    Anonymous

• ask to talk to your supervisor or whoever, then simply say "I am really sick and will not be able to come in to work today." usually they just o ok well keep me informed or something like that.....idk i've always had understanding bosses
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 10:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Make a clear statement. Whatever you do don't go rambling on because you are wasting your boss's time. I used to hate when people would go on and on telling me stories. All I need to know is you won't be in today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Where I work, you must call in at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled shift and you MUST speak to a manager. You must also call every day that you are going to be out unless you know that you are going to be out for several days then you just say I'm going to be out for ____ days. If you know that you must be out for an extended length of time then you must bring a release from your doctor to return to work.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 8:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• In my office the proper way is to call whoever you work under and who will be effected by your absence. We have crews and as the project manager and chief engineer on projects, my crew must call me when they are going to miss work. All I need to hear is you will not be into work today. I don't care on why. My biggest pet peeve is the timing in which they call. If work starts at 7 and it's 8:30 and you're not here, either you're not coming in or you have some explaining to do. I let my crew know if they wake up at 4am puking, send me a text message before you go back to sleep. I don't care why you will miss work, just give me a heads up before work starts.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It really depends on what your manager expects. My previous manager expected a call or at least a voice mail, so I would wait until after 7:45 when she was usually in the office. If I left a voice mail, I always called at least one other person in my department in case the manager was out that day, too. My current manager is fine with an email. I usually email him as soon as I get up and realize I can't go in and copy one of my coworkers on the email.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Each place is different. My office is very lax. we have flex time anyhow, so we just have to let those we're working with know we'll be out and usually email the HR person so she can make sure our calendars are marked. Some offices require doc notes and what not. But the best way is probably to call whoever is above you and let them know before your supposed to work if possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My dh is a supervisor at a bank and they have a call off line employees must call and then call their supervisor to make them aware. The line is for HR purposes. Anyway, he always jokes at the way ppl calling in sounds, so exaggerated...they always add in a little bit of a fake cough...lol Not that they are not sick, but that some ppl feel the need to make them sound like they are on their death bed. He said, they don't need to do that, all they have to do is say they are sick and can't make it in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• With the jobs I had before my cardiologist said "no more work", I'd talk to my boss and say "I'm sorry I won't be in today, but (I've got the flu) (I'm not feeling well) (I feel like crud and don't want to chance spreading anything)".
    Anonymous

• MOST bosses would rather us not come in when we are sick anyway. I used to be a nervous wreck when i would call in sick, but somehow, somwhere i stopped caring. If i am sick, i'm not coming to work regardless of what my boss thinks. If she thinks i sound like an idiot when i call in, i don't care. I've learned not to give a crap what people at my office think of me. I do my work well, i am loyal & i am always on time, i have great work ethic. So, i just learned to to care what others think. It really helps relieve stress at the office in many different ways.

Anyway, I just call & say "I'm sick, i really think i should stay home today" & they say "OK hope you feel better, keep me posted if things get really bad".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2009