do you think this is a good gift or is it too weird for a teacher?

i've spent the past days looking and looking trying to find my sons 2 teachers a gift. I didnt want to get them the picture frame, or coffee mug, or gift basket. I thought about cute earrings or something but then i wasnt sure if that would be her style or not or if they even had their ears peirced...so i was at target and they had really cute pjs..they had these flannel robes that are were like knee length and i thought they were so cute and something you could wear all year long if you wanted to because it wasnt really thick. It was like a flannel shirt. I just thought it was different. Do you think it was dumb or a good idea...i was also thinking of maybe including a body wash set or something with it or do you think that would be over doing it?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• Well I'd probly give them a candle but thats just me! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• For my taste it is way too personal. Why don't you get them something like the following.

1.- A plant with a flag with your child's pic that says "Thank you for helping me grow
    2.- Bake cookies, put them in a platter with a note that says: Thank you for been a sweet teacher to my child, that is how he described you to me.
    3.- Something not so personal, maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant.
    4.- Try to stick with the not so personal stuff, PJ, earings, etc. I think those things are reserved for close friends, these are your kid's teachers not your best pals.

That's my opinion.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Too personal. Target has some meditation CD music. She'll need after end of the day with kids. Have the coffee mug with some coco in it.

Anonymous

• Yes clothing gifts are very hard to get. It is hard to guess what size to get. Its impossible to know what style of pajamas a teacher would wear to bed. In this case a Target Gift card enclosed with the bath set you were thinking of would be excellent. Teachers are the one set of people that it is always appropriate to give gift cards to as long as its legal to in your state. Include a gift receipt if she hates the scent you pick out she can take it back :)
    Anonymous

• Please don't make teachers baked goods or give them mugs with cocoa in it. We know it is the thought that counts but we'll get about 20 of each every single holiday.
    Anonymous

• As a teacher I have to say stay away from coffee mugs and candles. We DON'T NEED ANY!!! lol The PJs are a bit personal, but honestly I'd take a pair if a parent gave them. I LOVE pjs. The best gifts imo are gift cards or classroom supplies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well, are you great friends, I mean hang out after work kinda people to where giving them something they'd sleep in and not show another person outside their home would be appropriate? Many view underwear and pajamas as very personal and aren't into letting others know what it looks like, especially those that are clients, co-workers or people they are not 'close' with. There are so many things out there outside picture frames, mugs and candles (which are most often scented and can be a scent that isn't not something the teacher can handle; I know I can't do vanilla).

If you wish to get something special personal I'd would look into things that will be enjoyable and help enrich her working environment. You can give her a bundle of books that are grade appropriate for her class, you can give her a bunch of seedlings and pots, you can give her a gift card or art supplies, a piggy bank is nice even.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That would be too personal in my opinion. I usually purchase a small ornament that says "special teacher" or something similar on it if I know the teacher is Christian and participates/celebrates the holiday that way. Typically, I will hang the ornament from a small bag of homemade cookies. If I don't know the teacher's holiday preference, then I just get a pretty bowl/box with a generic winter print (usually snowmen or snowflakes) and fill it with individually wrapped baked goodies. I have never had a teacher not love getting a big bowl of homemade goodies (I put in candy, snack mixes, cookies, fudge, etc.) and have even had a few tell me to go into business to sell my creations to the teaching staff because they never have time to make their own Christmas cookies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009