Temper tantrums!!!

Ladies, I need some advice! My toddler is 19 months old now, and we have totally hit the terrible twos! If I tell her no-no to something, she gives me a mean look and does it again or tries to pinch or bite me. Ive tried spanking, and all that does is make her mad, so she tries to spank me back. Ive tried time out, but thats a battle just to keep her in the corner or in a time out chair. Ive tried rewarding good behaviour and ignoring the bad, but I do have other babies (8 month old twin boys), and I cant let her beat up on them. Which she does If i dont watch her close. She can be really sweet, dont get me wrong. But then all of a sudden the monster child comes out and shes almost uncontrollable. Its aweful! Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

becca2715

Asked by becca2715 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You haven't spanked her hard enough. You need to teach this child now to respect and obey you, or you are in for a very difficult road. You tell her once what you want. She obeys or she gets a good spanking. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 days to put a stop to the tantrums.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• totally normal, the spanking is something my kids dont care if i do it (2 &3)they just shrug it of and go on. when she bites or pinches do it back to her, mine btw do not bite lol, that proves that it works. u need to let her know that it hurts so shell stop it. IF she knows shell get it too and she knows it hurts she wont do it! a 2 yr old in the corner doesnt work. put her in her room and close the door if u have to stand the for a few minutes and hold it shut (if she can open it) let her scream u need to show her that that is not going to get ur attention.. make sure u have the lock turned around so she doesnt lock herself in lol (my daughter locked herself in the bathroom)
    the tantrum is about attention i guarantee, the babies she probably thinks are getting more of ur time than her.
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• in time if u spank too much it wont phase them, just so u know. btw popping the hands when they hit and touch what theyre not supposed to works great with mine, my daughter knows better than to touch anything in stores. just the other day she yelled at some kids messing with something in the store and told them "dont touch that!" lol
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I can't believe someone told you to spank harder.

You need to learn parenting skills. As you have found out punishment doesn't work. You need to read books, take classes, research online, or somehow learn the skill you now need to deal with the child you have created.

Punishment is part of authoritarian parenting. Authoritative parenting is the kind of parenting that works. You can go to google and read more about it.

A good first book is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting. It can change your life.

Here is a good article about saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009