how would you feel if your teenager came home and told you that they wanted to be a Jehovahs' witness?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Jehovahs witness and have contact with my non Jehovahs witness family all the time and no one has ever told me I cant. My family are catholics and i totally respect their descision to follow what faith they want as my family respect my descision to follow mine. Sometimes it is best not to always take for granted the information you get on jws off the internet is correct as most of it is from people who are misinformed. so please ask a jw what they believe, check up in Your bible the answers they give you and then come to a informed desicion as to whether they are correct or not. Then if your child comes to you and says i am becoming a jw you can say i do/or not agree with you on your descision but i respect your right to choose your religion.
    Btw my 17 yo daughter doesnt want to follow my faith but i respect her descion to choose her own way.
    loopieann

Answer by loopieann at 6:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• they have a right to their beliefs, and you may not like it but give them the chance, as long as they believe in God. and Jehovahs witnesses do. But ur best thing sis to have them read the bible (AT HOME) before you let them do this "journey"
    but i would question as to why and since when theyve made this decision.
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would ask to hear his reasons why. Then over educate myself on the religion. That way if he ever wanted to talk to me about, I would understand where he is coming from.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Disappointed but accepting.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i would explain to him how its very dangerous to go knocking around on peoples doors
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I guess I'd want to know why and where he got the idea from. Then depending on how committed I was to my own religion I'd respong accordingly. As the parent I am I would let him believe what he wants. Who am I to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't believe?
    Anonymous

• I would sit down and talk to her just like I talk to them and walk her through the Scriptures and show her why we don't believe their teaching. I will also give her a history of the Watchtower organization. And go through the list of all their prophesies that time proved false. And then I would just pray for her that God gives her spiritual wisdom and discernment.

No offense to any Jehovah's Witnesses, but I think you would feel the same way if the situation were reversed; so you understand : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• but honestly, I must say that my goal is to teach her the Bible so well now, that she will be prepared to defend the faith without me there to guide her.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• pretty much along the lines of what Cinnamonmom is thinking but I teach my kids the Catholic faith I also teach them it is ok for their cousins to have a different religion.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my kids have that option open and always will and i will always be supportive of whatever they choose.
    Anonymous