Low weight and possible colic?

Pediatrician put baby on Nutrimagen because he felt she had an allergy to milk and soy. No testing. She has been on soy since day 3 after trying to breastfeed. Didn't feel she was getting enough from me. I am vegan...no milk, no dairy, no meat. She is 6 weeks old and weighs 8.9 pounds.Screams at night before going to sleep. Pediatrician feels she isn't gaining like she should. I feel like I am force feeding her on HIS schedule. Any suggestions?

jmjohnson89

Asked by jmjohnson89 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, my son had colic for 6 months plus.. and didn't really get better til we stopped formula at 12 months, then DID have milk allergies and dairy allergies, still does at 2 years old , most often they do not test from just pure fussiness because it can be inaccurate at this age, even still at 2 its too inaccurate for them to test unless its clearly horrible reactions. You can try gripe water... that's to help colic, I brought my son to a chiropractor and that helped, my son also had stooling issues where he couldn't go so he fussed for that also, but it was pure colic of 3-4 stints of uncalmable crying - up to 14 hours a day of fussing at the worst.. Email me if you need to talk -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• by the way, my son is Super skinny, always on the low end - he's 2 and only 25 lbs..
    maxsmom11807

• Alimentum, this is the best thing i think for them. Mine had "food allergies" as well, and with this it was perfect, they kept it down and everything. try maybe just a tiny bit of baby rice cereal(make sure it is rice cereal) see if it holds her our for a while 1 teaspoon to start.
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Relactate. Vegans can breastfeed.

You don't give her birth weight so I can't tell if weighing 8.9 pounds is enough. You have to know how bad formula is for your baby. The primary developmental task during the first year is brain growth and babies need human milk. Most moms can make enough milk for 2 babies. It is very rare for a woman to not be able to make enough milk with proper breastfeeding management. A La Leche League Leader or lactation consultant can help you.

If your diet is causing you to have problems with supply then change your diet. Your baby is worth it.

www.kellymom.com is a great website about breastfeeding. There are charts about how much your breastfed baby should gain. Most MDs have little or no training in lactation management.

It takes awhile for babies to recover from formula.

http://www.naba-breastfeeding.org/images/Just%20one.pdf
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Colic is a general term... it's not a real diagnosis. Something else is going on and it's either an allergy or intollerance to what she is eating now or reflux I would say.
    If you want to continue to breast feed I would... formula is almost never as good... but becasue of your diet you might have to limit even more foods... foods that are gassy foods like beans and broccoli and things like that, an cut out soy which might put too much limiting on your diet, I dunno.
    The second thing might be reflux... I would burp very often, have her sit up for 30 mins after every feeding and have her sleep at an incline (she could sit in a bouncy seat for naps) And put a pillow under her crib matress or towel under her bassinet so that she sleeps at an incline.
    She probably isn't gaining weight because she has associated pain with eating... which can happen in reflux babies. Is she spitty at all?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• "Colic" is a medeical term for "we don't know what's wrong but we must have a medical term." Colic calm or gripe water might help...both in the baby aisle.

Her current weight is merely a number without knowing where she started. Normal gain for a breastfed baby is 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight. Formula babies may or may not gain more.

Did she have these symptoms while nursing? Relactation might indeed be your best bet, rather than continuing the formula roulette. If she was wetting a dipe a day for the first week she was getting enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• By the way...docs sadly tend to be the WORST advisors on infant feeding...most get no training in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My daughter didnot tolerate my breastmilk, samething happened with reg.formula. She was diagnosed with colic. She was miserable and so unhappy. We switched over to Enfamil Nutramigen and she was a different baby in less than 2hours it was the best investment I ever made. It cost alot but I didn't care. At 11mos. I was able to successfully wean my baby from Nutramigen formula to regular cow's milk no problems.
    2girlsMom.MN

Answer by 2girlsMom.MN at 10:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• She weighed 7.7 when she was born. Left the hospital at 6.11, one week later was up to 7.7, now at 6 weeks she is at 8.9. He feels this is too low for her.
    jmjohnson89

Answer by jmjohnson89 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2009