My baby used to sleep but now she don't. What happened?

My 14 month old is usually a very good sleeper, all you have to do is put her in her crib and she was out. The past few weeks she has not wanted to sleep. She stands up in her crib and talks or cries for hours. Yes I tried soothing her many ways. What do I do? Why don't she want to sleep anymore? Also I tried making her crib softer, cuz I thought it may be uncomfortable, and we tried giving her snacks before bed, thinking maybe she was hungry. Nothing's working.

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with everything in the above statement except the getting her up if she won't sleep. That backfired on me and made the problem worse. When we ran into sleep issues my peditrician reminded us of how important routine is. Have bathtime, sit and read a book to her and turn on some soft music or whitenoise. Also try cutting out naptime during the day or at least if say bed time is 9 pm don't let her take a nap if it is past 3pm and wake her up in the morning if she is sleeping later in the morning than usual. My ped told me this will get her back on track and it has worked so far. If she still doesn't want to go to sleep after you have done all of that, I give her her own book to look at and leave the light on till she tuckers out and make sure I wake her up in the morning so she stays on schedule even if shedid stay up later than normal. Sounds mean but it works.
    eyedoleyes

Answer by eyedoleyes at 3:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Ahh the ever changing sleep patterns of children - I know them well! I have twin 17 month olds, and usually they go down fine (and have since they were 3 months old bless their little hearts) but there are some nights we put them down and my little girl will stand there and talk or cry or sing for like 3 hours! I give her an hour, if she doesn't fall asleep, I get her out and let her play for another 30 minutes or so. If she didn't eat enough at dinner I'll try her with a bottle in case her belly feels empty. Then back to bed. I hate doing it but sometimes I just have to let her cry till she tires out and goes to sleep. I swear that kid can stay up till midnight no problem!
    I use a white noise machine for where they sleep and have since they were very little, because we live in a tiny apartment and didn't want to be tiptoeing around. I've heard other parents say white noise has helped their kids sleep. Maybe try that?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You know, I posted that then thought about it lol...Yeah don't get her up. The little munchkins are smart cookies and it likely could backfire! Thanks eyes :)
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 8:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2009