Breastfeeding and Formula?

I was planning on breastfeeding, but was wondering if you can feed your baby formula occasionally in the event of emergency say I was out and my husband needed to feed the baby. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it would be really hard for their stomach. If you don't put your breast milk in a bottle than he might not even take to the bottle.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can, but  formula is a different animal.   It is far better to pump breastmilk and give that as a replacement in the event of an emergency, that way there is far less likelihood of an allergic reaction, bad gas, or a stomache ache.    Be sure the bottle you buy is breastfeeding friendly or you'll create a problem with nipple confusion and/or bottle preference -- if the baby is under 6-8 weeks old use a spoon, cup, or eyedropper.

http://www.kellymom.com

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• you can feed them formula, but whether or not the baby will drink it is a different story. Some babies dont like the taste of formula if they are exclusively fed breastmilk. Are you planning to pump? because you are going to have to get the baby accustomed to a bottle as well. But in answer to your question yes you can do both, I did for about a month before i switched to formula only
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can, I always save the hospital samples for that reason. Unfortunately my babies would never take it, I tried multiple times but they would just end up skipping that feeding and nursing more later.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can try. If there's a dire emergency, like you're hit by a bus, eventually baby will take it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can. If you don't want to pump and are going to rely on the formula I suggest occassionally offering it to your baby earlier in life to get them used to it, however you won't want to supplement with formula too much because your milk supply would be at risk. But every now and then shouldn't matter as long as you have a well established supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• <3 Thanks everyone <3 - your answers were all very helpful and informative. =)
    Ckris

Answer by Ckris at 12:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• One more thing.. Organic formula is supposed to be sweeter so your lo might take to that better than another kind of formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009