Breastfeeding help

I have 3 spots on my areola they almost look like a yeast infection, but the baby does not have thrush she is 9 months old and my breast doesn't seem to empty when she nurses it is painful and has started bleeding tonight. Does this sound like it could be mastitis

abellvalerie

Asked by abellvalerie at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU can have thrush with no symptoms in baby...but it sounds like you have some milk blisters or clogs. Any soreness of the entire breast or fever? THAT is mastitis.

For now., treat as yeast. Treatments on kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Thanks... yes my breast hurts, the spots are off to the side and are very sore, very red, and dry looking the sot is where it is bleeding.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would talk to a lactation consultant or better yet see one. She will be able to help better. Once when i had a clogged milk duct I had low fever, the area felt firm and war, it also was a little red. It only last a couple of days. I put a warm towel on the area and massaged it a lot. I also heard if the baby's chin is on the same side as the area of discomfort that will help.

If there is any cuts or cracks that are bleeding make sure to put breast milk on it to help heal faster.
    good luck!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2009