My 6 yr old is having her first bipoler manic...What can I expect?

I know nothing about bipoler......she has not been sleeping well for 2 weeks and the dr said this is a manic and watch for the low what am I looking for?
Pluse My husband is on the road working and I have a 5 year old daughter to.
So when my 6 yearold stared to sleep onnly 2-3 hr a night. It really hurt me becasue I have other one to. So I have been getting less than 2-3 hours a night for 2 weeks. oh there than a nape my dad let me have.
please tell me this is going to end and what to expect for a low. And maby a direction for some help?

Lost in mania!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• According to the DSM IV and many doctors, there is no such thing as juvenile bipolar disorder. I would seek a second opinion from another doctor so she can be evaluated.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Not to mention normally they should have given her something to help/make her sleep. You need to get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• This is the third opion and they are calling it a mood diorder. she is on a dose sleeping pills to for a 500lb man...did nothing. Vyvance for adhd anow a mood stablizer.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i have bipolar but since my late 20s. i took abilify for it which worked great, no weiht gain, no feeling drowsy etc. since i got pregnant and bf now i don't take anything and have none episodes. i am myself again for over a year. what a blessing. knowing all i would get pregnant earlier. some women heel this way from that. i never was v. low. i was only hyper-high. could not sleep 3 days at all and be v. energetic. lost in thoughts though. when you canot handle it, if its bipolar, take her to the hospital to have her stay there until she gets healthy again. they will medicate her. i was few times until drags stabilized me. she must take her pills regularly. never forget them. even then her sympthoms may show up. don't blame yourself. what's common for low is depression, suicidal thoughts etc. sounds so strange as for your doughter's age. i'd agree. seek second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wow that's very uncommon to diagnose bipolar in a child. I don't understand it. I thought bipolar was diagnosed over a period of time, looking back on patterns of their depression and mania. I don't really understand diagnosing bipolar disorder in someone who has not yet gone through a period of mania. But anyway, I'm sure the doctors have gone through all that.

Unfortunately no one can really tell you how her manic phase is going to pan out. Mania is somewhat individual regarding how people act while manic, how long it will last etc. She will be energetic, won't sleep, might be irritable and hard to get along with. Mania often brings out some illogical and impulsive behavior so you need to keep an eagle eye on her. Some people are rapid cyclers, meaning they swing back and forth from manic to depressed quickly. Some people have much longer cycles. For some people mania escalates into psychosis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Continued

As she gets a bit older you'll get to know her illness a bit better. You'll be able to predict things a bit better, but for now it's all new territory for both of you.

As far as what you can do right now, who is around you to help? You have to have sleep and she has to be watched. You can't do this by yourself. After two weeks is her mania still elevating? I have a bipolar brother and if his mania is allowed to keep escalating he becomes psychotic. Do you think she needs to go to the hospital for her own safety? Are you in frequent contact with her doctor, because her meds are obviously not working to bring her down and help her sleep. From what I've seen of my mother going through this with my brother, you are going to have to fight, you are going to have to be her advocate. Learn everything you can, get to know your daughter's pattern of illness and make the mental health system get you what you need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• my husband was diagnosed as early as your daughter- well he grew up finally got off his meds and we found out he's not bi-polar!!!! don't let a doctor mis-diagnose your little girl, it could mess up her life later on.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 6:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I am an RN. If you will GOOGLE BiPolar in children, there are some very good articles there. Especially one called Warning Flafs for BiPolar children, if it was my daughter and she is that young, I would want a second opinion from a Pediatric Psychiatrist. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have had BiPolar for several years, and was depressed as a child, but my Mom was Paranoid Schizophrenic and I did not receive the love and nuturing I needed, so that was one reason for my depression. I would like to invite you to be my friend, just so you know you aren't alone, Please write to me anytime you need to talk. Much love in JESUS, Carla.....the LORDSlady

LORDSlady

Answer by LORDSlady at 7:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009