What does breastfeeding really do to your breasts??

Does it deflate them, make them saggy or what and does it really help you lose weight??

mommylovesjaci

Asked by mommylovesjaci at 1:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never lost any weight breastfeeding. I should say during breastfeeding. I think if you are doing it right, you shouldn't be losing weight while breastfeeding considering you are suppose to be consuming more calories while breastfeeding than when pregnant. Most women have told me their breasts did deflate once they stopped breastfeeding and yes they did get saggy. Many lactation consultants will say that pregnancy makes your boobs saggy not breastfeeding. I don't agree because I didn't breastfed my first child and didn't see a change in firmness but I did with my second child who was breastfed.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yeah... I think the LCs saying that its pregnancy and not BFing that changes your breasts is a flat out lie. I wish they would just be honest about it.... It is what it is. And yes, BF will burn about an additional 400 cals a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I never lost weight and I had breastfed two of my children for 3 years each, My boobs do not sag, matter of fact I think I am lucky that at my age and after 3 kids they are pretty darn perky and dont look down lol.

The only bad thing is i have stretch marks now since i went up to a D cup for awhile (damn i miss those) I do know some people who have had different results after breastfeeding , I really think it depends on the woman and if they wore a good support bra during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• if your thinking about breastfeeding then don't do it for yourself do it for the babes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It only made mine bigger. Of course two months after I weaned my son I got pregnant again so ask me again in another year or two.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 4:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't think it helped me lose weight, but I know it did for a friend of mine. I've breastfed two kids and did not help me lose weight.

My understanding is that it's pregnancy that changes the look of your breasts and makes them saggy, not breastfeeding.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 5:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I am 46 & breastfed both of my sons. The first one for 7 mos., the second one for 1 month. I wear a 36B cup bra. Maybe it's just because I don't have really big breasts, but I don't see any difference in my breasts now, than when I was younger, before breastfeeding. I guess everyone's body is different.

I did want to add, that when I went in for my 6 week ck. up with my gynecologist, after the birth of my 2nd son, examed me and asked me if I was breastfeeding. I told him yes. He said he could always tell because women who bf their babies, their uterus has already gone back to it's pre-pregnancy size, after 6 weeks. That was interesting to know. And yes, I felt like I could get away with consuming extra calories while I was breastfeeding. I loved breastfeeding my children. I don't condemn those who don't, I just think it's the WAY TO GO, if you can!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Anon 1:19am it is not a conspiracy it is actual fact that breastfeeding does NOT create sagging breast. Here is the medical journal to help you understand why it is NOT breastfeeding that creates sagging but pregnancy amongst other reasons but none of which are breastfeeding. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86982.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I did lost lot of weight not coz of BF but coz of lack of sleep. My breast got smaller after sometime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well, my thinking is this. I've never seen a sixty year old withOUT deflated and saggy breasts. So, I don't think it's the breastfeeding, since not everyone breastfeeds (or even has kids). My breasts did the most changing while pregnant, and it makes sense to me that your breasts are activating, so to speak, and getting ready to breastfeed, and that the most changes would take place then. When you're breastfeeding, they just fill up and empty over and over again, but they're not stretching or anything beyond the first week.

For weight loss, to make milk, you need 500 extra calories a day. Since I tend to EAT that, I don't lose weight. :) You will burn more calories as a breastfeeding mom, but whether or not you will lose weight depends on how much you eat.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009