when should i take my 14dd to see a gynocologist? she's not sexually active, nor is she asking. I just have no idea. I didnt go until i got pregnant at 21yo. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It is now recommended woman see a gyno at 21. Used to be when first sexually active. I would take her when she is sexually active. This was posted before on here. Along with don't get your first mammogram until god knows when. I think insurance companies are covering their butts with this public health option. Take her when she needs to go, and if you even suspect she is close to a boy, get her in!!!! good luck mom
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'd take her in just to check up and then see what the doctor says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i'd think you might call your gyn office and ask free of charge q over the phone (consultation). i'd also see if they give any speeches in her school in the topic, have students informed, either in heatlh classes or have they 'parents day' when one and each of the parents come and talks about his/her profession or sends a proxy to cover a day. then you could have q answered for her professional way, in person or in general, or at least talked about at start. but my personal advice would be to give her some idea on how some boys look cute, as to spark her interest and nurture over the years to come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I was always told you go to see a gynecologist when you start having your period.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• At 16 or when she becomes sexually active. If you have a family doctor, she/he will be less intimidating than a gynecologist

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I just had my annual exam and I asked my GYN about this. My dd is 15. My Dr told me that they should be taken in either 1) when they become sexually active - let your dd know this - that you need to know, if nothing else just for the medical health aspect of it, 2) when she's 21 - whichever comes first.

OR - if there is any sort of problem - her period hasn't started, she has abnormal amounts of cramping or etc with it, a yeast infection (if she hasn't had them before, you should see your Dr before you self treat one, because it could be something else - not just a yeast infection or std - could be a bacterial infection, etc.) Or if you're looking at getting the Guardasil shots.

That's what my Dr told me just last week, when I double checked for my dd.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• you should start going when you start having a period just to build a relationship with the doctor it doesnt mean that they have to do a papsmear on your daughter but just so she can get comfortable with the doctor
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• When she asks or becomes sexually active or turns 18 she can take herself.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• if you think she might be sexually active, take her now. Usually it's 18, unless they're sexually active before then.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i became sexually active at 15 but i dintgo till i was 18.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009