How can I find the best car seat?

My son is almost 11 months old and is in the Key Fit 30 infant seat. He is getting close to the height limit so I am looking for the safest rated car seat. I'm looking for a convertible so I can keep him rear face for a while longer, then switch to forward facing in it. The price does not matter. I want to see what other Moms have experienced and what they like.

Thanks for any info!

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try heading to the car seat group. They can give you way more info than I could here.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• This may sound weird, but the carseats I've used have been the cheaper ones from WalMart and am absolutely thrilled with them. We were in a horrible car accident in 2008 and my DD's carseat was a $45 one from WalMart. Her only injuries sustained were from the flying glass. Not even a single crack in the whole seat(still tossed it 'cause there may be internal damage to the seat-all manufacturers say to do so) but it saved her life. We were broadsided by a landscaping trailer and it was even more amazing we didn't flip. When I got the insurance check 3 days later, I went out and bought the same brand. I will try to post the name tomorrow as it is late and I can't remember it right now. But the way I look at it, anything with a 5point harnes should work. Remember that if you are ever in an accident-knock on wood- you will have to toss it anyways and if you spent $300 to $400 that's gone to the dumpster.
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 4:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We have a True Fit and LOVE it. They run just under $200. Rear facing limit is 35 lbs and forward facing limit is 65 lbs. I'd recommend this seat to anyone. I have heard good things about MyRide 65, which although I'm unsure of the price, RF to 40 and FF to 65. Should your price limit be lower, the Scenera is a good alternative, around $50 and RF to 35, BUT only FF to 40 lbs, and is a basic seat. Not very cushy, but cushy doesn't mean SAFE. I also own a Scenera in DH's car, so I'd still recommend it on a budget.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• From personal experience, I really like the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It rear-faces up to 35 lbs and forward-faces up to 50 lbs. The shoulder straps slide up and down instead of having to practically take the seat apart to thread them through a different hole. And it has knobs on the sides of the seat to tighten the harness instead of having to contort yourself to pull it tight; this also makes it much easier to get the child in and out of the seat, since you can loosen the straps to get them out without having to worry about a hassle to tighten them again later.

The most helpful thing I found to do was to go to Babies R Us and play with all of their seats. You can compare the features side by side, and take the seat down and figure out how easy it is to use, and they'll even let you install the display in your car so you can see how it fits.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I went to the Consumer Reports website for my daughter's infant seat. You do have to pay, though, just to warn you. My husband wanted to get one seat, I wanted a different one that had high ratings on CR. The one he wanted wasn't tested. We went with mine and it turned out the one my husband wanted ended up getting recalled.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I am having the same dilemma! I have narrowed my search down to the britax boulevard, or the true fit premiere! I still have a bit more research to do, but it looks as if I'll go with the true fit. It RF to 35 lbs. and forward to 65. No re-threading...
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009