How do I deal with going from a SAHM to a working mommy again?

This is really a question for anyone who has been a SAHM going to a working mom. My kids are 2 1/2 and 2 monts. I haven't worked since Feb. Well lets just say that DHs hours got cut back at work, and he can't find another job. So I have been looking. I don't want to go to work, but we are about to lose our apartment and we are just flat broke. We have cut back on EVERYTHING to try to save money, and its just no hope.

How do I deal with going back to be a working mom again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• It was the hardest thing I have ever done was going back to work after beign a SAHM for a few years. I finally had to go back when my third was only 8months old with my 2 oldest being 3 & 1 1/2. For a few years my emotions were on a rollar coaster ride between being sad, angry, bitter etc...but eventually after much praying and time it has gotten easier. Though now it is almost 10 yrs since then I still have the wish to become a SAHM again but is not an option but easier to deal with. First off I made sure I worked opposite hours from my husband so we didn't need babysitters. And spend a whole lot of time with kids and husband even if it means you don't clean house, do laundry, etc....on schedule. Plus you may find work that your kids could either be with you or very near....all I know is I know exactly what you are going thru. It will be the hardest thing you will have to do right now but it will get better.
    Elkana

Answer by Elkana at 6:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• can dh watch the kids since his hours are cut back? That would make me feel better, knowing my children were with the father. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Is there anything you can do from home to help earn money? Back when I was working and still couldn't earn enough working 60+ hours a week I would take in alterations in the evening. It was enough to pay for our groceries and keep gas in the car so I could get to work.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 3:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can have a family day care in your apartment. I have done that in the past. I got certified in infant and child first aid and CPR and got my food handlers card, took the class to get my certification and within a couple of weeks I had families that I worked with and children that I adored. It is worth looking into. The daycare agency had toys and small furniture for us to borrow and I got reimbursed for all the day care meals. I did that for many years till hubby got a better job and we had to move. Great providers are always in demand.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You do what you need to do for your family. Consider the alternative to not working...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There is nothing wrong for you to go back to work. if you are going to get a job and help out that is great. It is so nice that you are standing up for your hubby inspite of having a very young baby. After all you are doing it for your family. In today's economy, it's very hard to stay home. Do what you think is right so you and your family are safe. Good luck in finding a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The first thing to do is to NOT feel guilty. Don't feel bad if you need to go out and help supplement income for your family. Second, There are maybe things you could do to cut back at home that you don't even know about. Do you clip coupons? Shop ads? Do random things that are un-necessary?

One thing I do from home to earn some extra income is being an agent for kgb_. You may have seen the commercials on tv. Go here and see if you like it.... http://542542.com/agent . I don't get credit for you signing up or trying. There is an assessment test you must pass, but you can take it as many times as needed. You can make an income of around $50 up to several hundred a month. You are paid once per month to your bank account, and yes, I have been paid several times. You can truly make as much as you want, you just have to actually put the time and work.

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
    RutterMama

• I would rethink that due to that's what I did and everything has gone to hell in a handbasket and I have older kids 13,12,7 my kids have not been doing homework,the house is half assed cleaned the bills don't get taken care of and try doing all that and working at the same time>>>Is it worth it??? think of all the ups and downs weigh them out before you start working because I'm now in a situation I can't get out of unless I quit work and stay home again..honestly with kids that age you should stay home they need their mommy and if you think dad will take on part of the housework and responsibility that comes with staying home with the kids imo think again!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• oh and if you want opposite hours than your hubby or want to see your kids don't apply at walmart cuz it won't happen...you have to have very open availability
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2009