Can you get fired for this?

Ok so when my DH started his job with a bank he had a 720 credit score..we have had kinda hard times recently our dd got VERY sick and we have tons of medical bills that we paid with credit cards and then his hours were cut and we were not able to pay as much as we would like each month and even had a few times were we paid late. His company did a random credit score check on him and fired him. Is that legal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know it's not quite the same thing, but I know that in the military, you can lose your security clearance for financial difficulties, which, in essence, is losing your job.

I'm NOT saying that you or your dh would do anything illegal, but the thinking with this sort of thing - jobs that require a clearance, jobs that deal with large sums of money, etc - is that if you have financial problems, there's too much temptation to "dip" into the money (or sell secrets, or whatever).

Again, I'm NOT saying you all would do this, or that it's fair, or that it doesn't suck. Unfortunately though, if it's their policy and he knew about it before he got hired (probably in the fine print), then it's legal :-(

But, like the pp said, I would go ahead and check with a lawyer just to see!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Actually, if he works with cash yes they can. It is considered a security risk. But he knows this right up front and if he says he didn't he isn't being honest with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It might be legal, but it sounds a little unfair.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure either way, but I think it's bull that low credit score means your a higher risk. My credit score isn't horrible but it is lower than i'd like due to a high debt to income ratio. I am now a stay at home mom so my income is zip but my students loan balances are still there, yes I've paid on them forever, but they are there. I wouldn't dip into anything. Also I think it's crap that if you have low credit score they raise your auto insurance rates. Low credit does not mean bad driver. Ok, I got off on a tangent.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Unfortunately, it is legal. As a poster stated above, it is considered a security risk for the company. Yeah, it may be unfair to some people, but it is legal.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• hmm never heard of this???
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If you are in the US, all states have "at-will" employment. So, unless he had a contract, his employer could fire him for any reason, or even no reason, as long as it is not illegal, meaning they can't discriminate based on his race, etc.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'd imagine the company has it in the contract. But since most states are "at will", there's usually not much you can do unless it's discrimination. credit checks are becoming common and low credit, high bills, etc. can contirbute to employee theft and other fraud.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wait; wait; they cut his hours, and you had medical issues; and so your CC's fell behind and they fired him; is that right?

Yeah call an attry. Medical debt isn't allowed to be held against you like that. It isn't that you and your DH were irresponsible with your finances which they say can lead to theft to get out; I think that's a crock, only thieves steal and not everyone is a theif but whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If he worked with money it makes sense to me. I was a bank manager for a few years and we were sticklers with the credit scores of our employees. Some probably would not do anything when desperate others would. Can't risk it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009