God still is in school...

My child goes to prek and she was singing "go telling on the mountins..." i was like where did you hear that and she said Ms. J and then goes on to say that Ms. Ty don't like jesus bc she wanted the song off.... but they still listened to it. Has your child said anything about they listen to Jesus songs also a teacher i know said she lets her kids listen to it too

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No.  The only time religion has ever been brought up in my child's school is when the Gideons came to hand out bibles, but  I had my daughter removed from the class.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• While I understand the whole freedom of religion and everyone has their own rights. The whole base of a child's religious beliefs start and are supported at home. Whats the big deal? The kids enjoy the catchy fun tune. It isn't converting them to anything. When they sing "if all the raindrops were gum drops and lollipops"... do you really think they think the lyrics are true? Its the catchy tune. When they read the Dr Seuss Books do you think they think its true? Instead of making a big stink, take the bible and toss it when they get home. Making a spectacle of your child does nothing but make you feel better.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• At my first graders program last week, they sang a song called Mary had a baby.....didn't bother me but I wondered how they were getting away with it but her teacher said that no one had complained so they were leaving it until someone does. But they do the pledge and everything in certain classses and even at the board meetings, which I don't make a big stink about but I don't like it either. Just the being forced to pledge your allegiance is ridiculous.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• -shrugs- Its the parents job to explain to their child about religion. If it shows up in school, its fine. Its not like they have classes for each religious path in school. Gosh! If they did! that would be awesome. I think people having a better understanding about other religious path, may help everyone be nicer to each other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Religion is taboo in our public school system, too, BUT when my youngest daughter was in chorus in the 8th grade and we went to the winter concert the chorus teacher (her first year) had chosen religious holiday songs for ALL the religions in during the winter season from ALL cultures.
    It was so cool to hear some songs from other cultures that were very lovely and beautiful, but it was even more heartwarming to hear the children sing about Christmas being about the birth of Jesus Christ.
    I have no clue is she was allowed to have those songs sung in the following years, but I bet the parents of the children would have voted yes to keep them because she actually had children from those other cultures in her chorus class!
    It was such a wonderful experience and I know I'll never experience it again.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I do not have a problem with it but of course my child goes to a preschool at a Baptist Church. I feel religion should be taught in school, it is amazing what she comes home and tells me, it is a great experience but she also has been going to church since she was a tiny baby with us.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

•  I feel religion should be taught in school.

So if Islam was taught in school, you would be all right with that?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009