How can you tell when a baby grows out of a diaper size?

my two month old is 15 lbs 7 oz I know he's a chuncker). He is still in the weight limit for size 2 huggies diapers, but the just seem snug and i'm not sure if it's me just being paranoid or if I should move him up a size.

MegPin

Asked by MegPin at 7:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• gee my daughter is that size and she is in size 4. the indicators are they leak more and you have more blow outs lol. also sometimes they leave red marks around their fat little legs, so that means they're too small too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I dont go by the weight, but I would say if it looks like its cutting into the skin, move up a size.. I could always tell when my son leaked through more than one a day, its time to move up a size.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• For me it was when the diapers started to leak. That was the first sign that they were too small. My oldest, though, didn't grow much and she started getting red marks around the leg openings so we moved her to the next bigger size which seemed huge on her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• When they start to leak, especially at night, that is when I would switch. My 4 month old is 12 1/2 lbs and is in size 2. My two year old is 22 lbs. He wears mainly size 4. Someone just gave us some size 3s and he can wear them during the day but leaks through them at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I've moved my kids up because their diapers were leaking after just a couple of hours, because they were cutting into their legs, and because they were coming up just barely high enough to cover their butts. Ignore the weight guidelines on the box, they mean nothing when it comes to the shape and size of individual kids; if you think they diapers are too small, then get the next size up and see if that corrects the problem -- it more than likely will.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• buy the next size up while you still have some of the smaller size then try them. usually the over lap a bit so it's not a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If it feels snug move up. I think they try to size them smaller on purpose, so you have to go out and by the next size. My DD has always been on the small size but she's always used the next size up in diapers. Just get the next size up and see how they fit, it won't go to waste, eventually you'll use them.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2009