Toys at School?

My 3 year old is in pre-school, not daycare. He has a truck that is HUGE that he loves. This morning he cried wanting to take it and I told him no, I told him that it's school time and he can play with it later. He has a problem being told no and I am working hard with him to follow directions.

Last week we had this issue with another truck. I was told by the helper (not teacher) that he can bring it. I know my son and he will not share and have a feeling that this truck would be the source of l0ts of issues for his teacher.

Do you let your child take toys to school? I have an older kid in elem. school and kn0w that this is a no no, so I assumed that this is not okay.

jalex

Asked by jalex at 8:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No my child is in a pre k daycare she isnt allowed to bring stuff from home what if his toy got broke? If they have show and tell maybe he could take it but if he will not share and he was my child he would just miss out and not take nothing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son LOVES his cars. I mean seriously in love with his toy cars. He attends a preschool and it was written in the parent handbook that no toys are to come to school. We let him take one toy on the way to school in the car but he must leave it in the car when he arrives at school. When he gets picked up his toy is waiting for him. We initially had to coach him and give him a pep talk about leaving his toy and going into the school. He has had no problem, especially since this has been the routine from the very beginning. He used to kiss his toy goodbye and then go off happily.  Now he just places his toy next to the car seat and climbs out.  It takes time but he will get used to not bringing anything if you practice it every day. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• nope... it doesnt seem like a great idea. the toy will be hard to share. it would get lost or stolen or worse... and i am trying to get him to accept that we go to school to learn... not play ... my son is 4 and in montessori, they do have share days every friday but my son doesnt normally attend on fridays because dh has that day off and i dont think he needs 5 days yet.... i dont think taking the car with him in the car would work for my son. he would just continue the battle at school and would think that if he won the privledge to bring it in the car, if he fights for it he may get to bring it in the school.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No but I've come up with a compromise with my 4 yr old son. He often has toys he wants to show off at school. He knows toys from home aren't allowed at school but he can bring one in to show the teacher at drop off but it leaves with me when I go. He can show it to his teacher (it's usually a matchbox car...lol) and she can coo over it and then it goes right in Mommy's pocket. He knows when I pick him up I'll have it with me if he wants to show a friend real quick as we're leaving to go home. If he gives me lip about wanting to keep it at school he knows he won't be allowed to bring any more things in to show his teacher in the morning. It works for us. Maybe something similiar would help?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No. You are right to nip this in the bud. Taking toys to school is a very bad idea, even in preschool.
    Anonymous