4 1/2 month old.. all off schedule

My 4 1/2 month old has been all messed up on her schedule.. she gets up SO much at night and wants to breastfeed. i try feeding her as much as possible during the day but she wants to nurse all night. i am exhausted and will take any advice at this point. also having trouble getting her to take naps.. she rubs her eyes a lot and is tired but will not fall asleep on her own.. it takes a while she fusses a lot until i can finally calm her and get her to sleep. any suggestions/advice from moms

annie27713

Asked by annie27713 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • who ever said babies have a "schedule" misled you! They eat when they are going through a growing spurt more than ever. Your baby is trying to get you to make more milk. They could have the start of teething too. There are so many reasons. Talk to your doctor first, but at 4 1/2 months you could start to give her a tablespoon of prepared iron fortified infant cereal at bed time to help her sleep longer.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Schedule? A 4 1/2 month old? Hehe. Really? I mean a GENERAL "sequence of events" is fine, but a "schedule" usually doesn't work heh.

I couldn't get my son on a reliable schedule (sequence of events, not actual times) until he was 7 months old. He still cluster-nursed a lot before bed and woke up frequently til then. Heck he still gets up once or twice at 9 1/2 months. ;)

I dunno I've never had trouble getting him to take naps. I just nurse him and he falls asleep in 4 minutes and sleeps for 2 hours. Maybe your baby is overtired or you should try that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Are you co-sleeping? Do you have a sling or a wrap? Co-sleeping will help you to get enough rest when she wants to nurse all night (they go through phases of doing this... teething, growth spurts, etc...). The sling should help to get her to sleep during the day if nursing doesn't work.

4 months is too young for solids, and solids don't help with sleep anyway. If she's growing, she needs the milk during the night... if teething, she needs the comfort. Rice cereal can't replace either of these.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009