What would you do to make a teenager a little interested in school?

I am the teacher. I am tutoring that girls, she's 16. She's really smart and all but here's the problem. For instance, she has an excersice for home and she does it completely wrong. When I'm with her and tell her to do it again, she does it right!! What can I do to make her do it correct without me supervising?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like there could be something going on at home. Do you know anything about her homelife? What she is getting from you is special one on one time which she seems to need. If she is needing it from a teacher that means she most likely is not getting it at home. I know this doesn't help but I'd look into the why it is going on and what can be done to correct that and then her motivation will be fixed as well.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You tutor? Please proofread your question...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Did you ask her why she's doing it all wrong on purpose for? And what does she say to you? Does she not like the subject. ?First find out why she does this. Then tell her how important that subject is to learn about.How it could help her in life..If she's bored with the subject make flashcards. in school play around the world. where you ask a question to everyone in the class one at a time.They all start standing up and the person or people who get the answer or answers wrong have to sit down, and the last one standing is the winner.They're all standing in a circle.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think that maybe she likes your attention and help. It could be laziness, or loneliness. I would tell her that she has to do at least one right once a week or what not, I dunno how often you meet. That worked with my clingy students, once they have to earn your help they will do more work themselves, and maybe offer to do non-school stuff once in a while if she does her work correctly without your help that way the attention aspect is taken care of. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• get her involved in after school activites,
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010