I don't understand...

I have heard the phrase, "God never gives you more than you can handle" more times than I can count. I just don't understand this. If that were true why are there people who literally lose their mind after something traumatic such as losing a child or they go into a deep depression? Obviously they can't handle it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It really irritates me when people say this. I think it is a horrible thing to say to someone. How thoughtless!

If there is a god I don't think it does bad things just to make people "handle" it. I don't think it makes people strong enough to handle everything bad.

People don't know what to say so they say stupid stuff. There have been things that have caught on and people just say them.

Not everyone can handle what is going on in their life alone. They shouldn't have to if they have a lot going on. People should help people that need help because it's the right thing to do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I can attest to that statement. God is the ONLY reason I am alive today.
    I lost my parents at age 13 to a murder-suicide. I never blamed God. I knew that He had a great plan for my life, I just needed to remain faithful. It will be 14 years next March. While it is still hard, especially this time of year, it is by the Grace of God that I am the wife and the mother that I am today. I made a promise to my parents, and to God that I would NOT allow my family to have the childhood that I had. Full of abuse (every way you can imagine) and fear. My children will know discipline, but they will never FEAR me. My children will know the TRUE meaning of Unconditional love and respect.
    So, the statement, "God never gives us more than we can handle" is very true. There are people out there who could not handle what I have gone through in my life, and situations out there that I can't handle. God knows and Praise HIM for it!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I am not a fan of this phrase. The truth is sometimes things happen that we can not handle.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• IMHO, I feel like the people who say that are the same people that say "It was for the best" when they find out someone has had a miscarriage. They think they are helping, but they are really just being asses.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Sometimes I think it's a way for people to act irresponsibly, claiming it is "Gods will".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• A) "god" Is an imaginary friend that SOME people find comforting. Personally I do not trust adults who have imaginary friends, or anything they have to say.

B) Not everyone handles stress in the same way, and there are some who simply feel that "god" obviates the need for intervention. So it is in no way possible that their imaginary friend could ever be the cause of a NEED for intervention.

C) It is a heartless thing to say to someone in need, if you are unwilling to recognize that need and offer a kind word of guidance, you should simply walk away. Unfortunately that is the exact opposite of what Xtians are taught to do.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• "Not everyone can handle what is going on in their life alone. They shouldn't have to if they have a lot going on. People should help people that need help because it's the right thing to do."

You are very right in this statement - HOWEVER - God places people in your life for a reason. You should not go through the rough patches (or the good times) alone. You should use the help people offer, and have a shoulder to lean on/cry on. I praise GOD I have had different people in my life to help me along the way. I owe the person I am today to many of those such people.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Honestly - you people are being so heartless and vindictive. There are things that other people go through that not everyone can handle - and there are things you THINK you can't handle... but you DO come out on the other side. NONE of us has the exact same situation in life. Have a heart people!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have a hard time with this statement also...what about those who commit suicide because they can't handle it?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Answered at 10:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 by: charlotsomtimes
    I have a hard time with this statement also...what about those who commit suicide because they can't handle it?

Did you read my first response earlier? Please do. There can be many reasons someone thinks they need to take their own life. My father did this vary thing. I myself attempted when I was 16 and thank GOD it didn't work! People think life is hopeless because they don't have the resources to reach out. They don't know there is a teacher at school who could help, or a neighbor, or possibly there is a chemical imbalance and they need psychological help. Maybe they are suffering from PTSD from a tragedy and need someone to just listen to them. The fact is that there IS hope - weather you believe in God or not, there are people out there who can help guide you and offer solutions to protect your life.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2009