No Prayer in school?

I see a lot about prayer and school. Just so you know, it is not only Christians that pray at school. I have a Budhist (spelling?) child in class that closes her eyes prior to eating. I will not infringe on her and ask her what she is doing, but I think she is praying. I have an child of an athiest Mother who dissolved into tears on Monday when she recounted her father missing yet another visitation. As she sobbed on my shoulder, I am pretty sure I heard her pray that one day her Father will love her enough to show up. When I am sitting in a meeting recounting the sexual assault a child shared with me you better believe we are all praying in some way, shape or form that this child overcomes the terrible tragedy in her life. Prayer is not always on your hands and knees and its not only for Christians. So those of you that want to deny ANYONE the right to pray- I say good luck!
How do you pray in your daily life?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be a teacher today is so difficult. One person taking care of individual needs of 20 little people. It has to be frustrating for you sometimes and Im sure that is an understatement from what I just read in your post.
    I am not a good prayer but I find myself always thanking God, never blaming him. So I guess my prayers are spontaneous.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure what the point of your post is because the title, the content and the question are not really related. But, here goes my response to your post title....Of course people pray all of the time, the objection to prayer in schools is when it is PUBLIC prayer, as in everybody has to do it or be subjected to it; PRIVATE prayers are just fine.

Are you just trying to start trouble with your post?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I agree with you. A beautiful beautiful Christmas Card I was given years ago spoke of how those who say they don't believe in any kind of God or higher being, that on the battlefield, as they're dying from a disease or an accident's hardship, as they study for a tough tough test, Kings, President's, Heads of Goverment, those being put to death or crimes all cry out a God's name in sadness, hope, anger, joy at surviving if that the case or joy at a hope coming true. The word God comes to everyone's lips and minds no matter what our brains say is true or untrue when we are most needy or hopeful.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Anyone is allowed to pray silently, or very quietly, to themselves at any time in public schools. What is not allowed is school sanctioned prayer. Teachers are not allowed to pray in front of the class, lead a prayer or have a prayer said to the whole class because everyone doesn't follow the same religion or use the same prayers. There has never been any objection to a child, or teacher or parent, praying silently to themselves. No one critisizes someone for saying, "G-d help me" when they are upset. The objection to school prayer is forcing anyone to participate in a prayer someone else has decided is appropriate. The moment of silence in the mornings is designed precisely so that students have an opportunity to pray silently if they choose.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ANON- no, no trouble and I agree that there should be no forced prayer in school. I am just letting everyone know that the notion of NO PRAYER in school is false. It should make everyone feel better to know that the public schools are not evil in this regard and we do allow the individual freedoms to each to do as they wish in this regard as long as they do not infringe on anyone else- and this goes both ways!!!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• "The notion of no prayer in school is false...."
    I think you are right and most teachers I know go to church on Sunday....lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• wildboyz21994 I think what most people believe when they say they know or believe there's no prayer in school is that is it is not encouraged to be that because of God being different in many ways to different people. There's no time in a school day to pray to be inclusive of every Higher Being's Individual Title. It's organized prayer for any Supreme Being in public school that's not allowed. Not that children are punished for saying God or another Higher Being, whichever that child's brought up to believe in, during hardship in the school day for that child.

If my kids had ever been punished for speaking of God during or in a test or when they'd dropped books in a busy hall there would have been huge problems for administration.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's not that individual prayer is fobidden. No one has tried, and I would be surprized if they did. Students praying as a group is also not forbidden. What is against the law is organized formal prayer led by a teacher or staff member. The idea is to keep those in authority from sanctioning a particular religion. For example, as a Christian I do not want my children being taught to pray by a Muslem, at least not when they are little.

Personally I pray in a variety of ways. There are more organized prayer times, usually in the morning and at bed time. There are family prayers, at meals and when the girls go to bed. There are the open unstructured prayers as I go through my day. Usually short and much more like a conversation.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Prayer does not exist in any form in my day to day life, nor does it at holidays, funerals, weddings, the birth of a child or any other event. That said, I am highly offended when someone (anyone) imposes their beliefs in the form of public prayer.
    No, you will never remove prayer from society, and I do not believe that it should be- some people NEED religion. Without that control in their lives, they are simply lost. What bothers me is when people assume that this is some triumph, when it is not- it is not illegal to pray silently, no matter where you are. If one were to believe otherwise, that would be laughable.

To the woman who's children have been reprimanded in a PUBLIC school for calling on a higher power- I am glad to see that the system is working. Perhaps teaching them to PRAY SILENTLY will prevent the need for further discipline?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think the point of no prayer in school,etc is about forcing ONE kind of prayer(usually christian)on the ENTIRE group.

I could care less if someone wants to say a prayer over their food or to comfort themselves.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2009