Milk and colds

My son is one and has a cold, he has had it for about two weeks now. My MIL keeps telling me to not give him any milk and now my husband is all over me about not giving him milk. Should he really not have milk if he has a cold?

cryssi_renee

Asked by cryssi_renee at 10:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• milk increases mucus production, I agree with MIL
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That's a myth. Most people think that drinking milk when you have a cold increases phlegm or mucus, It doesn't. Drinking milk may make phlegm thicker and more irritating to your throat than it would normally be, milk doesn't cause your body to make more phlegm.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Dairy does increase the production of mucus. Give him some elderberry syrup, lots of steam; if you breastfeed, let him nurse as much as he wants. Keep him well hydrated.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455

milk isn't that bad. but if he's had it for 2 weeks, it might have developed a bacterial infection so if it's not improving, take to the pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• mayoclinic.com is where I got my information as well
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Regardless of dairy increasing mucus, if that's all he'll take, it's a fluid. My concern was more for dehydration. The only time I ever took an infant off milk, was for a stomach virus per doctor's orders. (He was vomiting and couldn't keep it down.) If he had a cold and wanted milk, he got it. If he'd take juice or water, I'd give him that as well.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My daughter has a really bad gag reflex that is sometimes triggered by coughing... this seems to happen much more when she's mucousy and if we're giving milk it's almost a guarantee. So as soon as she has a cold, she's on all water or an occasional watered-down juice (at her usual milk times -- she doesn't get juice unless she's sick). If she didn't have this problem, though, I'm not sure if I'd go off milk entirely, maybe just cut down.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• acollins is correct, it doesn't increase mucus production, it simply thickens what is already there. It thickens saliva and mucus, making it more ropey. When sick, you don't want all that muck to be thick, you want it to be thin (more watery) so it is cleared more easily. Sorry, I know it's not a pleasant topic, but there is a basis for why so many people think it causes more mucus production.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009