Crib to Toddler Bed/Twin Bed?

My son is 21 months old and is ready to be converted out of his crib. He's a pro climber! I was just wondering your opinion on converting him to a toddler bed first or should I go straight to a twin bed to avoid costs later?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 10:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We're going to use a twin mattress on the floor for cost purposes (we have another baby who will need the crib mattress, so we had to buy a new mattress either way).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• well my DD who is 2 still sleeps in her crib but I am considering buying her a toddler bed and using the crib for the baby i am preggo with now. As long as my daughter doensn't get too long for her toddler bed that is what she will use. I dont see a need in putting her into a twin bed.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 10:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We just put my kid in a toddler bed. In hindsight I wish we would have just put him in a twin bed with rails. There isnt any need for a toddler bed imo.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I used a toddler bed because the crib converted so it was no extra cost. I put a big body pillow on the floor and dd rolled out a few times. After about 7 months or so, she decided she wanted a big bed so I got a rail and put her in the day bed we have. If you're buy a toddler bed, might as well go to the twin bed unless your child is a roller. the rails have gaps on the side and when my daughter first went to a toddler bed, she was all over the place and would be half in the bed some mornings so I know she would have fallen through the gaps on the twin since she wasn't quite ready. But no problems now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We went straight to a twin bed. I was a little worried because she slept every which way, pressed against the crib bars, etc. We just did a twin with a guard rail and she slept against the wall until it got cold, now she sleeps pressed against the guard rail. I wouldn't buy a toddler bed if your crib doesn't convert.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009