To fear God....

How important is it?

Most of the time I have this child like attitude that "God is good, God is great". Maybe I should be more serious.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 10:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• a healthy fear, not being afraid like some people think, like oh my goodness God!!. its a healthy fear, a fear of disobeying him and reaping the consequences. The only thing that you can get out of it is that you live a good, clean life. Nothing bad can come out of obeying Jehovah. Just like you said, look at what happened to our first parents.
    Anonymous

• I was never taught to FEAR God, and I don't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He is good and great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You should fear Satan not God!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't fear God in the sense that I'm afraid of him. I respect his awesome power and authority and recognize who He is. I could never love or have a relationship with someone I'm afraid of.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That is honest, God is good. He should not fear God that would be wrong.
    God lets us choose what we want to do and if we choose something good than you have good consequence and if you do something wrong you have bad consequence...............A child should be thought about his bad or good decisions they all have consequences.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• As you fear the consquences of letting down or disobeying a reliable and fair parent, so you fear God. He has warned us all of the consequences of disobeying or leaving him. If you have done enither you need not FEAR in its fullest sense.

To imagine God is sentimental is a big mistake.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• "Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning." Exodus 20:20 NIV
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Any good and loving god worth worshiping should not be feared.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• First of all lets define fear. That was a big issue for me. What the Bible is talking about is reverence, not being afraid. If you look at the passage RutterMama posted "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning." Exodus 20:20 NIV  It says not to be afraid, then it says to fear God.  So either God is psychotic or there are two different types of fear.  To reverence means a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.  So yes we all should fear or reverence God.  He created and controls the universe .

So understand what it means to fear God then remind yourself who He truly is.  From your mind, your thought life, attitudes come, from attitudes come behavior.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2009