Pain in chest

I know you aren't doctors but I am clueless here and can't get to the doctor till 4 at the earliest.

I am having like a dull, maybe pressure like, pain in my chest over my sternum which is causing me to have problems breathing. Like I have to take deep breaths instead of regular ones because I feel like I am not getting enough air with regular breaths. It also gets worse if I get up and move and subsides to a certain extent if I just sit (which I can't do for much longer because the baby will be getting up from nap soon). It has been going on for like 45 minutes now. It has happened before, randomly starting like this time, but it subsides within 15 minutes at max. I haven't discussed it with a doctor before because I always forget I have this issue since it is so random and only lasts a few minute and rarely happens. Any ideas on what it could be or what could help?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Health

• Could be your gallbladder, my old roomy had to have hers out & that's the same pain she was describing. Could be heartburn...when/what's going on when you feel the pain? Write down when, what causes it, the intensity of the pain & the duration to talk to your dr. Don't forget!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Could be indigestion. I know people, including myself, who have had heart attack symptoms similar to your symptoms from indigestion. I always since then have soda, my favorite is Ginger Ale, to help me discretely burp after meals. Certainly in pain burping no matter who's around, if it can help, should be done.

Hope you feel better, don't hesitate to call an ambulance and neighbor for your kids if you need e r!!! Don't mess around long!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Sounds like anxiety to me. I have gallbladder attacks and mine are a stabbing pain and it's on the right side by your rib cage, and when I'm having an attack if I take deep breaths the pain intensifies. But those are my attacks...
    I also have anxiety and when I'm thinking about think subconsciously I tend to have anxiety attacks which feel like what you are describing. But that's my opinion. I would talk to your doctor, it could be anything! Good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I talked to my hubby about it. We could figure it out but he thought maybe a minor asthma attack so I tried some soda since I don't like coffee and it has helped tremendously. So I guess I need to be checked out for asthma.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If you are really having pain, go to the ER. Better safe than sorry.

I always go to Doctor Oz website for answers on medical questions. It is pretty informative. Another website is Web MD. Good luck.
    Anonymous