Anyone ever have plumbing problems with their home?

anyone ever have a blocked vent, did you call a plumber? How much did he charge. Last time we had to call one he just ran a snake and it was about $450.

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 10:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• try pouring baking soda into it, let it sit for a min & follow w/ vinegar, the chemical reaction should take care of any blockage a plumber can remove w/ a snake. Wow that's expensive!!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We had some renters in who let their little kids out in the back unsupervised. They put sticks and rocks and all kinds of nice things in my sewer cleanout pipe. After they left and I got new tenents in the basement drain in the laundry room was flooding the whole basement. The plumber charged $400 to rotoroot the sewer cleanout.

The best advice I have is to get a plumber you trust to tell you the truth and do a good job. Sorry you're having troubles :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We've went through something like that before, our son tried to flush a sock down lol. (I can laugh about it NOW) anyway its sporadic, it doesn't always act up and its only gurgling so that's what's making me think its a vent problem.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Jeeza! That's a lot of $$. Thank goodness my hubby has his own powersnake. It costs me at least a hug n kiss.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 10:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can rent a snake at Home Depot and do it yourself for a lot less.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I've already done the snakes
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Owe yes,Plumers can be expensive. I feel for you. Expect a big bill. Around here I think they charge $50-$60 an hour.

Answer by louise2 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Dad went to Home Depot and bought his own snake and chemical cleaners. He tried to get the longest he could find for the snake. And some thing like NT Max to clean the pipes. The chemical he used were extremely strong so he did use gloves and they worked great. He may have ordered them off line. And them monthly he used an off the shelf cleaner. But he never paid someone to do the cleaning.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My spouse is a handyman; he has replaced all of the hot and cold pipes in our 70 year old house. He charges $50 an hour for plumbing work. Are you in the Chicago metro area?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Sewer or septic? If septic you might need to Have it pumped. If sewer call a plumber you can trust. the pipe between the house street might be cracked or something else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009