Those who tell the truth about Santa, I'm curious...

First off, you can do whatever you like with your kids, I don't care, don't judge and that's not what this is about, I am just curious...does that mean there are no fairies, unicorns, Easter bunnies, tooth fairies, magic, princesses, ghosts on halloween, etc., Either? Does it affect their imagination in any way? My DD4 is so into all that stuff, the stories and things she makes up when she's playing is so creative and imaginative, I can't imagine saying, sorry honey, there's no such thing as (fill in the blank).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• Santa WAS real. As long as we remeber the good he did Santa will always live on in spirit. That spirit is acknowledged by adults dressing up and giving gifts to those in need. Santa is the Toys for Tots volunteers. Santa is the Police dept. here where we live. Santa is mommies and daddies who try their best just to make you happy. Santa is also the people who serve food at the homeless shelters. It is his spirit and the things he did we try to remember at this time of year. Note that I did not actually say He Exists, but rather he exists in the hearts of other people. It still leaves open a sense of magic and wonder. They exist if you believe they exist. No I was not traumatized by Santa. Nothing wrong with a little make believe.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well... I for one believe in 'ghosts' so for our family THAT is real, but the other things are make believe and they know it. It doesn't interfer with their imaginations what so ever.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My kids have creative imaginations as well. Will let them know that the tooth fairy, etc., is make believe, it doesn't stop them currently from having fun at Christmas time knowing that Santa is not real.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 11:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's all for fun, I tell my kids about santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy everything. Why not have a imagination when your a kid, I grew up thinking there was and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I forgot to add...I also teach them that Christmas is about Jesus, because it's his birthday.
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My daughter always knew the tooth fairy was us. We have never told her Santa exists. She has a wonderful imagination. I don't think that has anything to do with her believing certain things are real. She dresses up and pretends and such. idk I don't think her not believing in stuff like that is going to hurt her at all.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh yeah, I tell my daughter the reason for Christmas is Jesus's birth as well, not how many presents you get or who goes to whose inlaw's house that year LOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have mixed emotions about this. I think honesty is the best policy and yet I don't want to rob my child the joy of the fun of the holidays. I mean, you are only a child once! I believed, I mean really believed in Santa until I was about 12. I was so upset when I found out the truth. I think I'm going to be coy about it but I will not lie if my DS asks me a direct question. I always had a great imagination and never really got too carried away with it. I believed in it all, lol. Oh, and let me add, I don't want my son to be the one to burst anyone elses bubble, KWIM?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My DD doesnt believe in Santa or the tooth fairy or the easter bunny, and she still has just as big of an imagination as all the other children her age.... she thinks fairies live in her grandpa's solar lights and sits out there talking to them, she plays with her baby dolls, she has "imaginary friends" she calls them her "girls".... she does all the imaginative and creative things other kids do.....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We don't crush our childrens imaginations and the joy in their childhood. We allow them their six years of fun as children. I bet the kids who had fun childhoods with love and joy will grow up to be more well rounded adults than the kids who are supposedly traumatized by Santa.
    Anonymous