Postpartum Depression question please help

My daughter will be 3 months old on the 22nd of this month and when i went in for my 6 week postpartum check up i felt fine but now im incredibly moody im crying all the time i just feel worthless im never sleeping i just dont know what to do with myself is it possible to get postpartum depression in the later months after child birth

TaiZombie

Asked by TaiZombie at 11:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PPD can last up to 2 yrs

Answer by admckenzie at 11:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can have postpartum up to a year after birth, do you have family that can come help so you can sleep and have a little time to yourself??? That is very important when you first have a baby, to think of yourself too.
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• have you tried going to your doctor to talk to them about that?
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• yes i always have people offering to take the baby so i can rest but all i do is just lay in bed i really cant sleep i dont know why
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Take a sleeping pill. You need to sleep. Lack of sleep causes depression, mood swings and all sorts of terrible stuff, couple that w/ being the mother of a newborn and you have a recipe for all kinds of bad things, imo. No one talks about how difficult being the mother to a newborn is. I had a very rough time, no depression really, but I just couldn't believe how hard it was and how tiring. Everyone is so consumed w/ congratulating you and oohing and aahing over the baby that the mom is just sort of left in the background w/no one paying attention or caring about her needs. Get some sleep! Everything will seem much better once you do and remember to take it 1 day at a time. Everyday she will grow and change and this hyper needy stage will not last as long as you think. My DD is now 9 mos. and so so so much easier to deal w/ than she was as a newborn. Trust me!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You may need to be on meds. You can take antidepressants while breastfeeding so don't worry about that.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• im not breastfeeding i go to the doctor on friday to get my BC put in and im also going to talk to them about my depression
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh, yes...quite possible to have it. Glas you're going to see the doc soon. (And I've gotta say...I like your screen name!)

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009