• In the Spotlight:

is this good?

Ok so i am still pregnant but my midwife told me to break out my pump and try some nip stim to induce labor. Well i got an oz between both breasts. I am wondering if this means i will have a good supply when my baby gets here? I am small chested so i worry about not having enough for my baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• are you past your due date?? For nipple stimulation to work you will have to be doing it for a loooong time your baby will come when he/she is ready im also small chested and my milk dryed up ten days after it came in but that was due to stress
    TaiZombie

Answer by TaiZombie at 11:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The baby starts labor and no matter how hard you try, it just won't happen until baby is ready! As for the small chest and having enough supply to feed your baby, I've know A cup women who breastfed 1 year with no problems. You have to stick with it, resist supplementing with formula and you will be fine. Plan on feeding every couple of hours for the first few weeks and eventually it slows down. If it works out for you, that is great! If not, don't feel guilty...at least you tried! Congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. My older son would only nurse, not even breastmilk in a cup or bottle would work. I could only pump an ounce or two between both breasts when I was pumping twice a day at work. I never leaked either. With this one he only has breast milk but will take a bottle of it at daycare. I leak all the time and pump 3-4 ounces each time I pump 3 times a day. a better way of knowing if your baby is getting enough is by if they are satisfied and have wet diapars.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 11:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• How much colostrum you are able to produce has nothing to do with how much milk you will produce, nor does the size of your chest! My cousin is VERY large breasted and she didnt produce hardly anything but yet I have a friend who is a small B and she produced more than enough.

Colostrum and milk are two different things and you wont get much colostrum but hopefully will have alot of milk
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Not sure about inducing labor...
    But I am also a pretty small person and I had plenty of milk to both nurse AND pump. I would put my baby down for the night and pump before going to bed myself. But everyone is different.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Most women; not matter the chest size, have enough milk for their baby. It comes naturally.
    Anonymous