How do I get my 3 year old to go to bed?

My three old son hates going to bed. We have tried reading to him before bed, but now he associates reading with going to bed so he doesn't want to read books. I tell him our schedule at night so he knows that bed time is coming up and that doesn't work. We have been just tucking him in and he gets out of bed and throws fits. We have gotten to a point that we leave him in his room and he falls asleep eventually. There has to be a better way. Can anyone suggest something that we haven't tried to make bedtime easier?

nancylo78

Asked by nancylo78 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him fall asleep on your lab when he is tired.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• When you leave his room do you close the door? If you do maybe try telling him he can have it open if he's quiet and stays on the bed. If you leave it open maybe try telling him if he throws a tantrum or gets off his bed it will be closed. Also try letting him pick a book or two to take with him to bed to look at for said amount of min.
    Do you put music on? That might help (they sell soft lullaby music) good luck!
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2009