What would you say to your kids if they asked you why santa was nicer to their rich friends than to them?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• tell them santa doesnt exist and those parents have more money than some. that way you're not lying to them and they dont feel like crap.
    Anonymous

• Well, personally I'm not going to feed my daughter the Santa line. I'm going to tell her that Santa is the mascot of Christmas, just like sports teams have mascots. There is just too much room for these kinds of questions, imo. But then again, if you're Christian or believe in God, how do you explain why God lets bad things happen? It's a slippery slope.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would tell them that they were nicer than my kids were that year. lol
    Anonymous

• That's one of the top 10 reasons I told my kids that Santa was make believe. They didn't get fewer presents because they weren't good enough.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I hope this is a hypothetical question, cause DAMN! It makes me want to laugh and cry all at the same time! I would say that Santa doesn't like them better, the U.S. treasury does! No, really though, perhaps it would be easiest to be honest, if a child is at the age where they would ask a question like that maybe they are ready for some more truth. If I thought it would be too heartbreaking to spoil the Santa myth (lie) then I would probably tell another one like say. "No, honey, Santa only gave them coal, their parents are just lying to them!" That's so mean! Why did you ask this question? LOL
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 12:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• This has never come up with my kids. all of their friends are from families with roughly the same income level so it really isnt an issue. I dont think children really start noticing till around age 8 or 9 that some kids have more money than others and by then the Santa belief is wearing off.

I know my almost 9 y/o still hasnt grasped that some kids wear expensive clothes or that their MP3 player cost $100 more than his. my almost 12 y/o on the other hand thinks that anyone who spends $100 more on a MP3 player than we did is nuts and wasting their money lol. Its another one of those "its all in how you raise them" things, teach your children that material things are not the end all be all of life and that santa is about more than gifts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think it would be time for the truth about Santa conversation, personally.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wow. Just wow. Makes me so happy that we celebrate Chanukah and that even as teenagers my sons get thrilled over a bag of dark chocolate Reese's. They know that the 1st day is chocolate gelt and a dreidel, that nights 2-5 are bags of candy, that nights 6-7 are gifts in the $6-$7 price range and that night 7 is a DVD (previously viewed at that and $10 in cost). They don't care that they are getting iPods, cell phones and lap tops. They appreciate the symbolism. They don't care what their friends get for Christmas, never have. Who compares anyway? Christmas is what, a week before kids go back to school? Do parents really teach their kids to brag a week after the fact?
    Anonymous

• I have had the opposite. We have had friends who make much much less than us give their kids TONS OF GIFTs.

Our kids get one gift from santa that is it.

when the kids asked I told them that I had written a letter to santa telling him we only wanted one gift because we knew there were so many needy kids and that we would be very thankful for one and that way he can give presents to more kids.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:40...aren't not are.
    Anonymous