The One True Word (christians please)

I wonder how so many of you can believe that the bible really is the word of God. What proof do you have that it really is the word of God? I mean, i know that's what it says in the bible, but the bible is not scientific or historical proof. Is this the part that you just "believe"? I'm just a little confused on this. I don't understand how someone can take a book and go "oh look. this book says it was written by God so it must be true!"

People always think i'm trying to bash. I AM NOT trying to bash. I'm trying to understand. I was a Pagan, but now i don't really know what i am. I think i might be venturing on the edge of Agnostic or Atheist. But who knows? I might go Christian if someone can actually be nice instead of claiming that i'm trying to stir up sh!t or that my questions are stupid.

I appreciate all thoughtful responses.

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They blame it all on faith, and they always say "they just know"...

This is what they have been taught, not many people will just come out & wonder if the book they relied on for generations is really true or not. It takes a very smart person to have some doubt. This is what i like about buddhism. They encourage doubt, because through our doubt we find answers. If we never doubt, then we're just blindly following. Questions & curiosity are very important if we want to actully learn something.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• for me, there are alot of prophesies that have come true, the ones that come to mind are, babylon, the bible says that it will never be inhabited again, still not inhabited, and everytime someone goes on it something happens and they have to leave.
    theres a scrip. in the bible that is talking about God and it says "He that is sitting above the circle of the earth", now there were no telescopes or space traveling for them to know them. Columbus didnt even know that the earth was round. Theres other things but i'm in the middle of something so i cant think of anything.
    Anonymous

• It is a personal faith that a person has. I don't think you are bashing, For me, I have had alot of encounters with God and His word that has proved to me He does what His word says. I got into a serious car accident almost two years ago, (roll over) down an embankment from black ice. In the book of Psalms 91, it talks about protection, and angels watching out for us. I would not be here if it had not been my faith in God, and angels protection around me and kids with me. I would suggest find a pastor in your area, who can further help you if you choose.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 12:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There is definitely a large part of "believing" when it comes to the bible. Of course, it says in the bible that it is the word of God, but you gotta believe that the bible is truth before you believe what it says - right???
    It does say (somewhere, I'm bad at remebering where) that you can't understand it unless God reveals it to you. It really is true! God can show you His truths if you ASK him too. A lot of it is beyond our understanding and we have to trust that God is bigger than we are and that it will not always make complete sense to our small little brains. I always like the example of Him being our "Father". As a parent, I can relate to "children" not always being able to fully grasp a concept with complete understanding.
    Keep searching......it's only through searching that you will find the truth!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The Bible is the true Word of God. The more you learn about it the more it will blow your mind and you will be beyond convinced. Since you are curious about it, you should really do some research, rather than just writing it off as impossible. The article by Charlie Campbell "Evidence for the Trustworthiness of the Bible" is really really good. It goes through how fulfilled prophesy, archeological discoveries, the internal consistency, external verification, the Bible's amazing scientific accuracy and foresight, manuscript reliability, honesty about moral failures, willingness of Jesus' disciples to suffer for it's testimony, and it's transforming power for good.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Another reason that you can be sure that the Bible is trustworthy is because Jesus said it was! Jesus did not just claim to be the Son of God, He proved that He was the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead (Rom. 1:4), fulfilling hundreds of Old Testament prophecies, living a sinless life, and performing a multitude of miracles. If Jesus is the Son of God, we can trust what He had to say about the word of God.

Jesus affirmed at least six things that were true about the Bible.

A. Without Error.
    In John 17:17, Jesus said in His prayer to His Father, “Thy word is [What? Full of contradictions, and errors? No.] truth.”

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• B. Historically Reliable.
    Jesus affirmed as historically true some of the most disputed passages of the Old Testament, including the story of Jonah in the whale (Matt. 12:40), the destruction of the world by a flood in the days of Noah (Matt.24:37-39), and others (see p. 5-60, Dan Story, Defending Your Faith, and Geisler, p. 559, Systematic Theology, Vol. 1).

C. Divinely Authoritative.
    Over and over, jesus said to Satan, “It is written...it is written...it is written” (Matt. 4:4-10).

D. Scientifically Accurate.
    For example, when He taught on marriage He referred to the literal creation of Adam and Eve (Matt. 19:4-5)

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• E. Infallible (Dependable, or Unbreakable).
    In John 10:35 Jesus said, “The Scripture cannot be broken.”

F. Indestructible.
    In Matthew 5:18 Jesus said, “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished.” If Jesus was a prophet of God, as even the Qur’an teaches, or even if He was a good teacher (as so many are willing to believe today), it would be wise for us to take His Word on the matter, and He taught that the Bible is a historically reliable, divinely authoritative, scientifically accurate, dependable, error free, indestructible Book.

Cinnamon-mom

• Hi! I guess it really is whether or not you BELIEVE what the Bible says. GOD didn't write the Bible but his diciples (followers) did. They tell the stories of GOD and Jesus in their own words and about what Jesus did while he was on this earth. I think that it's great that you even ask the question. I know it can be frustrating when people only want to critisize you and what they don't understand is they are just turning you away from GOD by doing that. I think that believing in the Bible for me is something that I feel inside. I know that I am not alone and I feel whole just by believing in GOD and knowing that he is with me. Trust me it took me a LONG time to get to the point that I felt the way I do. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. I promise that I won't judge you as long as you do the same for me! Shannon_leigh82@yahoo.com
    Shannon_leigh82

Answer by Shannon_leigh82 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There are facts contained in the bible. It talks about real people. (Sorry ive said this in the past few weeks so Im repeating.) Jesus was real and his enemies dont deny his existance. He has a lineage. There are real historical people in the bible like Pontious Pilate and other kings. There are prophesies that have came true.

Did you know? Like some after school special lol .....The bible calls the earth a sphere even before man and scientists discovered this.Isaiah 40:22 The earth hangs from nothing. Job 26:7 Certainly the one responsible for creating it would know.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009