who can help me afford christmas gifts for my kids?

Hello im a mother to a 10 year old girl and im currently unemployed i cant afford a christmas for my daughter can someone help me please!

Loretta81

Asked by Loretta81 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• I would reach out to a local church or Toys for Tots. That is what they are there for. Where are you from?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• maybe call a church or something for a food box- then use the money you save for a couple of gifts and a bit of candy?
    sorry hun- I have been jobless for almost a year so we don't have much this year either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Hmmm, I'm sorry but this sounds like a scam. Your post says "kids" but you only have one according to your statement. Also, you're a newcomer on CafeMom. I pretty sure you're not allowed to ask for financial help. Lastly, Christmas is next week...and you're just now looking for help? Sounds fishy.

Anonymous

• What so gifts have to do with the birth of Jesus? Why don't you use this opportunity to teach your child the real meaning of Christmas.
    Anonymous

SERIOUSLY?
    Anonymous

• I would advise you to seek help locally within your community. Churches, the local Red Cross, Toys for Tots and even the VNA can all help you provide for your family.

I'd also caution the well meaning moms on CM against giving money for gifts to anonymous women online. Unfortunately there are many that would take advantage of people's kindness at this time of year. I'm not implying that you are, OP. But surely you can understand that it makes more sense for you to reach out locally through regsitered charities than to expect handouts being shipped to you.
    Anonymous

• Toys for Tots has already passed their DEADLINE. I really wish people would stop giving that as an opition. It is 8 days til Christmas. You really think they have the time to add another family?

Ugh Anyways OP there are tons of groups here on cafemom of people who want to help just go to the groups area and search Christmas Help.
    Also contact local chruches.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Did they change the date of Christmas from last year? You had 11 mos. to set aside $1 a week which would have been enough for something. Too bad you snoozed and are making your child suffer because you couldn't save $4-$5 a month.
    Anonymous

• Use the oppority to teach about giving and donate old toys. Make a day of it and take your daughter out somewhere fun to enjoy the day after giving the toys away. time is the best gift. you don't need money for christmas. if your child requires gift, you have taught them wrong.
    Anonymous

• You can help yourself! Go to www.craigslist.com and sell some of your stuff you no longer need or want. You can also look under their free section. Go to Ebay and sell some of your old stuff. You can have a yard sale. There are a ton of ways you can make enough money to put a few gifts under the tree. Thank goodness for the Dollar Tree!
    Anonymous