Study of the bible. where to start? (a question for everyone)

Christians, if i want to read the bible where should i start? And how do i teach myself to understand what i am reading?

Atheists/Agnostics and such, if i want to look at the bible from a more logical stand point what information should i read and look at? Can you provide me with book titles or site links?

Others, how does your religion view the bible? What do you base these views on? And do you have anything to show me how/why you (or most others who share your faith) think this way about the bible?

TIA

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Chronological Study Bible is the only study Bible that presents the text of the New King James Version in the order in which the events actually happened-with notes, articles, and full-color graphics that connects you to the history and culture of Bible times. Here is a link to a great one! -- Chronological Study Bible

CONT
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Start by reading the book of John! ~~ It's simpler, easier to understand, and actually entertaining. John was one of Jesus' disciples and he pretty much documents Jesus' life. There are a lot of parables (stories) and words of Jesus.
    When you read the Bible, read it slowly. It is translated from the original language and the specific words hold a lot of meaning. If you take your time and seek to understand it, you will learn more from going slowly......Start out with a simple prayer and ask God to help you to learn and understand His words (even if you dont believe yet).
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Id start at the beginning and maybe get a study guide in case some of it gets confusing(cuz it can).

As for me...I view the bible as a book put together by men. It holds a power over those that view it as a book of divinity/about God and Jesus but it does have some nice stories that could aid some in various situations they may find themselves in.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Sometimes it is easiest to start at the beginning... but what a lot of people don't realize is that the Bible wasn't written in chronological order. For me, it is easiest to start at the very beginning and look at how the relationship between God and people develops. The one I gave you the link for is also a study guide. That means that it will help you to understand what you have read. Help you to understands the applications to your own life.
    RutterMama

• As a Christian, I'd suggest joining one of the Christian groups on here (or any forum really). Usually you can find another mom who understands the Bible well. Start from Genesis and just start reading. Anything you don't understand, ask a mom in one of the groups. You can even ask a few just to see if you get different answers.

As a person who does question things, it's not a bad thing in my opinion. I do a Bible study with one of my best friends, her mom, and some of her mom's friends. It's great because her mom does a wonderful job explaining things and my friend and I are usually on the same page with our beliefs and questions so we never feel like the odd ones for questioning this and that. Questions give me a new perspective sometimes and helps to make a bit more sense.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Others, how does your religion view the bible? What do you base these views on? And do you have anything to show me how/why you (or most others who share your faith) think this way about the bible?

I, and many Neopagans, regard the Bible as a book of mythology, on par with other books of mythology. Though some of us find Biblical myth less helpful or inspiring than other mythologies because of it's exclusive nature. A good way to understand this view is through the branch of study called "comparative mythology." Two experts on the subject I like are Joseph Campbell & David Leeming. Anything written by them is eye-opening, I especially recommend The World of Myth by Leeming, as it is an easy read but isn't oversimplified.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I wanted to message you...thought I could find faithful4ever, but I cant......this isnt really the place for this, but I wanted to tell you that I LOVE your questions. They are entertaining and make us think!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would recommend to start in the book of John or Matthew as well. It is really hard for new Christians and non-believers to just read straight through it. It isn't written like a novel. So it is always best to just start with Jesus and work around that. If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus. Then you can better understand the rest of it.

But in order to fully understand it, I would ask you to pray (I know, I know . . . I am sounding pushy). But just pray and ask God to help you really understand the beauty and deeper spiritual meaning of the things you are reading.

I am excited that you are going to look into reading the Bible. I am going to pray for you too, that God will direct you as you read and speak to your heart.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would start at the beginning. Picture a pyramid. Who is at the top of that pyramid? God Gen 1:1. Genesis means origin/beginning. Then maybe everything will fall into place for you.....Happy reading!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009