MY DAD JUST GAVE MY 18MOS A SIP OF COFFEE!! HELP!!

He's here visiting and will be leaving on Friday but if it weren't for him leaving I would have yelled at him!! I told him nicely, no that the baby doesn't need that and as it is his teeth are sensitive to staining. To him I was saying blah blah blah, baby, blah blah blah!

I'm gonna have to start looking into retirement homes for him in another 10yrs cuz I cannot have him living with us.

Have you seen Miss Little Miss Sunshine and Sunshine Cleaning. THAT"S MY DAD! (except he doesn't smoke pot LOL!)

HELP ME RELAX so that I can handle this another day....

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• nothing is going to happen to him relax. he mighthave a tummy ache is heis seseive to caffenie.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Don't worry. I know someone that would do that. Nothing is going to happen.It was a fluke.Don't go and get pissed a t dad. He just did not think about it. My mil used to put mil and coffee and put cookies for my son to eat and he would get hyper. That is all. He'll be ok. Trust me.
    Anonymous

• Wow.
    That's REALLLY irrational on his part ...
    And I do NOT envy you having to lifeguard what ELSE he might have the impulse to feed your toddler, or do with him ...

If he truly cannot learn how to be responsible with a baby, then you are forced to treat his presence just like the presence of an unsafe pet running free in the house with your baby ...

Best wishes to you !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Before I would have yelled at him before but now that he lives far away I try to not be so protective when he's around my son. I know, I need to fricken relax or else I'm gonna get more stressed. I write this as my son pulls out all our files from our desk so I could write. gotta go....
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Take a deep breath and RELAX. It's not the end of the world, lol. My DS's great-grandmother frequently gives my 15month old sips of her black coffee. She gets a kick out of the fact that he loves it and loves to do anything he sees her doing. She's in her 80's and is the matriarch of the family. I would never yell at her for doing something like that. He can't be getting more than the tiniest of sips. Now, having said that, I would've probably reacted differently if anyone else had done it, lol, but Nanny gets special license with him and it's the only thing she does that I disapprove of. She originally gave him a sip to prove to him he wouldn't like it and could stop begging for some. It totally backfired, lol! A sip here or there won't stunt his growth, stain his teeth or have him bounce off the walls. I don't him drink tea or sodas but grandparents still like to sneak him sips. Learn to let it go, you'll be less stressed.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• a sip of coffee and he's a year and a half?....sorry-but I don't really see the big issue
    Anonymous

• LOL...the baby won't like the coffee so its okay. Relax.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have given my daughter a sip of coffee before, not straight black coffee, it didn't harm her, and your dad already raised you, am sure he did a fine job with you, one little sip isn't going to harm a child.
    Anonymous

• my 18mos adores coffee... i think you are over reacting... it would be different if he gave him a bottle of it, but grandparents are just enjoying the looks on the baby's face, and love to try new things...
    Anonymous

• if it was only a sip, it's okay. you don't have to worry about the teeth staining from one sip. just explain to you dad your preferences. but then again its grandpa. grandparents are allowed to give the grand-kids things the parents won't. i don't want my kids to have a lot of chocolate; maybe just a couple of m&m's. for Halloween my son had at least 4 miniature milky way bars that grandpa had given him. he asked for it and grandpa said yes each time. personally, sit back and enjoy the relationship they're forming. if you're talking about putting him an a retirement home these moments are going to be few and far between. it'll be something your father will always have to remember.

Anonymous