My son acts kind of sensitive?

Hi mom's,

Please don't think I'm being a jerk or anything. My question is I have a wonderful 6 year old son. Sometimes I just think he is to sensitive. For example he cries alot if we joke around together. He also says things like oh my goodnesss. Which he proabley gets from me. Like the other day he's like mommy I can't wait to see the purse you bought online . He's so sweet about it I think he just excited for me because I don't treat myself much. Another example he wants this juice maker set at the store and It's for girls? I just don't want him to get teased when he gets older. He does also acts like a boy alot too. He loves videogames,wrestling with dad when he's home. I just worry because he's with me alot and he's proabley sensitive because of me. My husband is never around he's in the navy. How can I kind of make him a little bit tougher etc...... Again Please don't think I don't want him to be himself . Any tips

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• A six year old is asexual. There really is no difference between boys and girls at this age, adults just treat boys and girls differently. Why is the juice maker only for girls? I really wouldn't read to much into his sweetness, I would enjoy it. Soon enough his going to get a large dose of testosterone and he'll need that kindness to level him off.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Don't do this to your son please. Give him the room to become who he is. Please don't push things on him to make him 'act like a boy' because he is a boy no matter how he acts. you would be suprised how much his sensitivity would change if you just accept him for him.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 12:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He IS normal! Let him alone, he is just learning about things. He will be fine. YMy boys's Dad was not always around either and they are just macho as can be.

Good luck. He happy, don't worry. Happy Holidays!
    Anonymous

• I understand completely that you are concerned. Just accept your son for who/what he is. This may very well be because your husband is not around much, but it may be something very different that you nor your son can control. My son was not very "manly" when he was younger. He loved buying cool clothes, always wanted a stylish haircut (sometimes with highlights), never played with trucks and guns, liked to help me cook, etc. I think most of it was because I am the central figure in his life. My husband, his dad, loves his son very much, but just doesn't know how to include our son in his everyday world.......changing the oil in the car, mowing the lawn, unclogging the sink, etc.

Our son is now 13 and I can see that he is going to grow into a man that is his own person.........
    Anonymous

• He is okay with not liking to hunt or catch bugs, he is okay with not playing football or getting dirty working on cars. He is a talented musician and wonderful comedian. He is sensitive and will make some woman a wonderful husband. Yes, he very much likes girls.

So don't worry about what you can't control.

Anonymous

• What is wrong with being a sensitive man? This is a quality that most men lack so this makes him special in my book, he will toughen up all in due time.

Answer by older at 1:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• you cannot change who your kids are. you just have to love them for it... my son is 4, he wants an easy bake oven, he wants the twinkle toe shoes advertised on nick. he wants polly pocket. he wants every damn toy that has a commerical... but then again he wants to wear nail polish. do his hair. etc.... you might say --- is he going to be gay ---- i would tell you - i dont know he is four and if he is good! i wont have to deal with a bitch daughter in law!:) just love him for who he is. you cant change him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You're not alone hun, in fact the last time I was in my martial arts class I was chatting away with some of the other moms that attend the class (it's our time w/o kids) and we were talking about how sometimes our sons can be sensitive, sometimes very sensitive.

Here's the thing; you don't want to push that out of him trust me society will either make it go away on it's own or he'll be that kind of guy who is more likely to get the girls than his other guy friends. He'll naturally grow out of crying in public but he may always grow up with a strong respect and connection with girls and this can come to his advantage later when/if he wants to date them (worked for my husband).

If you want him to be less sensitive I'd look into some classes where he can be around both genders but it's a team activity such as martial arts or some kind of sport where he's building more relationships with kids at or around his age level.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Ugh. I'm sorry, but this is why we have so many jackass, non-empathetic, "tough", thoughtless men in the world. We complain about how insensitive men are, but WOMEN are the ones that raised them to be that way..so scared that their son will get picked on by the other insensitive boys whose mother's discouraged kindness...don't be part of the problem. Be part of the solution. Women need to stop squashing a boy's natural tendencies to be sensitive and kind. period.
    PeekabooMama

Answer by PeekabooMama at 5:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There are tons of things to read:

http://blog.cbeinternational.org/2009/09/is-gender-stereotyping-hurting-boys-academically/

"Teaching your son that women and men are equal will help him learn that men are not better than women. Women and men hold equal grounds in the house and out of the house. This will teach them that if their wives work outside the home that they need to be helping inside. There are some ways that I suggest to help teach your son."
    Read more at Suite101: Raising a son? But I am a girl! | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/mothers_son/105743#ixzz0ZtueOtRw

http://life.familyeducation.com/boys/mothers/55776.html?detoured=1

Boys and Girls are different but there isn't ONE right way for each to be.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009