sensitive son?

Hi mom's,

Please don't think I'm being a jerk or anything. My question is I have a wonderful 6 year old son. Sometimes I just think he is to sensitive. For example he cries alot if we joke around together. He also says things like oh my goodnesss. Which he proabley gets from me. Like the other day he's like mommy I can't wait to see the purse you bought online . He's so sweet about it I think he just excited for me because I don't treat myself much. Another example he wants this juice maker set at the store and It's for girls? I just don't want him to get teased when he gets older. He does also acts like a boy alot too. He loves videogames,wrestling with dad when he's home. I just worry because he's with me alot and he's proabley sensitive because of me. My husband is never around he's in the navy. How can I kind of make him a little bit tougher etc...... Again Please don't think I don't want him to be himself . Any tips

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is a little like this too. But he is a rough and tumble boy too so I think the senstivity is just the age and like yours, my son is mostly around mommy. I am thrilled that for now at least my son likes to "help" me cook and clean and take care of his baby sister. I have a feeling this won't be forever though. Boys usually lose interest in this kind of thing. Give it time. I imagine he will largely grow out of most the sensitvity he has right now.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Just let him be himself. Nothing you say is in any way abnormal. Why should a juice maker be 'for girls?' I really wish they would stop making all the cooking toys pink. Boys cook too!
    Honestly, my son is eight. He is my little personal stylist. If I try something on he will tell me if it looks good or not and why... and honestly, he is right 3/4 of the time. Nothing wrong with it... it just means I trust his opinion when it comes to that kind of stuff! He also knows every Transformer's name and 'tech specs' by heart and wants to take swimming lessons so he can swim with great white sharks when he grows up. Kids are going to have interests/abilities in all areas... as parents we read way too much into it! HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have a son who is sensitive and i wouldnt change it for the world, not all boys need to be tough, and rough and tumble.

I have two boys and one girl and both boys wrestle around and have a great time building things, and being boys but my youngest son is the one who feels for people, cries, and generally is much more in tune with his feelings. There is nothing wrong with it, at 6 y/o he will toughen up all on his own, be glad that you wont have to teach him about womens feelings down the road you already have a jump start on it :)

Sorry I just really dislike the belief that because they are boys they cant have feelings and emotions, that they must be tough and learn to be a man. I think it is sad to stamp out that part of them that married women always complain their husbands lack and truly believe its bacuase people want to toughen up their boys.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh about the juice maker lol I bought my dauther this cupcake maker she just had to have for her b-day and guess what? my BOYS use it more than she does they think it is really cool!
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I say let him be who he is. He may be a sensitive guy, but that's ok, who wouldn't want a more sensitive man? He loves his mom, that's a good thing. Most boys play with some girl toys, don't make him think he can't play with something just because it's marketed towards girls. My son is now 19 years old, he's a great guy, all the girls love him, he is a sensitive guy, he loves his mom. He played with some girl things as a kid. When he was 3 years old he had an old PINK purse my mom gave him, he had it filled with pennies, it was heavy! He loved to carry it around. He loved to play with the toy kitchen stuff. He also played sports and loved "boy" things.....just let your son be who he is.....it's a good thing that he's alittle sensitive! IMO...your doing a great job with your son!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There is something called non-sexist childrearing. It was something that was somewhat popular 20-30 years ago when reserch was showing that the most well adjusted people had the best qualities of being male and female. Androgynous, a balance of masculine and feminine.

That's how I raised my boys. It was natural for me because I am somewhat androgynous myself. They never had extreme boy or girl toys. They did have dolls and other girl toys. The played with girls. They were always sensitive, as you describe your son. They were also Boy Scouts and played sports. We homeschooled and knew other people that were like thinking.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think you should encourage your son to be interested in what you do. Teach him to do everything - cook, sew, laundry, knit, crafts, ect. The things he needs to know and wants to try.

One of my sons is a nurse, not a surprise. He is a great father.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009