Contractions

How far should contractions be apart before going to the hospital? I'm about 3 cm dilated and am now starting to feel some contractions.

jen.ritterbel

Asked by jen.ritterbel at 1:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 5 min. If your starting to feel them. Get prepared just in case. Make sure you have your bagged packed and if someone is taking you make sure they are around.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Bag***
    armywife2009101

• Its not so much how close together they are... the doc wants you to wait til they are getting stronger and lasting longer. You might have contractions 10 minutes apart that last 1.5 minutes and are intense or you could have contractions that are 3 min apart that only last 45 seconds and arent painful. Are you close to the hospital? Assuming you are... I would personally wait til you cant really talk through them. If you go in too soon, they will just send you home
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• 5 mins apart and lasting about a minute each. You'll want to head out a little earlier if you have a long drive to the hospital, or might want to hang around the house a bit longer if it's really close.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I say it depends on how far you live from the hospital. I lived an hour away and there was no way I was waiting until they were 5 minutes apart.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• They told me to wait until my contractions were 5 minutes apart, lasting one minute, for one hour. But my water broke first.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009