At what age should your child start crawling?

My son is 6 1/2 months old, he can sit by himself, roll over and talks all the time. He hasn't started crawling yet... is that normal? He can hold himself up on his tummy and scoots here and there... I just want to make sure he is on track!

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies never crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Of course you know every baby is different, and like rkoloms said, some babies never crawl, but average age is 6-9 months.
    Anonymous

• My baby never crawled. He walked at 9 months. Maybe you kid will to.
    Anonymous

• My pedi said that what they look for developmentally is the baby getting around somehow by 9 months, whether by rolling, scooting, army crawling, crawling, walking, however. My son didn't crawl until 11 months, but he wasn't rolling around until 8 months, but he's now 2.5 and running around like a normal toddler. My daughter was rolling around at 4 months and is now 8 months and still just army crawling; she also gets up on her hands and knees sometimes, but won't go anywhere like that. But she's getting around, which is all that matters. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• As Dragon rider said, any mode of movement is good. My dd is just now rolling "well". at 8 months old. She doesn't like to be on her tummy at all! She'll get on her hands and knee's and rock a bit but doesn't go anywhere!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son was 6 1/2 months when he started to really crawl...and he still rocks back and forth. He's 7 months now and is starting to sit on his own but not for long.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He's FINE! He may never crawl, as has been noted above...and that's normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009