HELP! i think i lost my mucus plugging..when will i go into labor?

I am 36 wks pregnant and have noticed a very thick clear gel like discharge. I'm really nervous that I lost my mucus plugging. Does this sound like it? And if so how long did it take after you noticed till you went into labor? Help!

hillma

Asked by hillma at 1:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Call you OB and ask them. Good luck to you and baby.
    Anonymous

• a mucus plug looks like a giant glob of snot (sorry to be gross) clear discharge is pretty normal, if your feeling anything like contrations call your doctors office to be safe and make yourself feel at ease. After losing your plug it varies when you go into labor, i lost mine while i was in labor but was still at home, some women will lose theirs a day or two before hand and some never even notice because they are at the hospital by the time it happens.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No telling. With my first, I lost my plug at 37 weeks and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. With my second, I lost my plug 2 days before my due date, and went into labor the next night. Losing the plug just means that you're starting to dilate; it means nothing as far as labor goes. Some women sit at 3 or 4 cm for the last several weeks of pregnancy, others don't dilate at all until active labor. If you notice a smell to the discharge, or if it's really liquidy and constant, your water may have broken or be leaking and you'll want to call the doctor. You also want to call the doctor if you notice any blood that's more than just spotting. Otherwise, mention the discharge at your next appointment just to keep them up to date, and try not to let it worry you. It just means your body is getting ready. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Also some people loose it for weeks. It can regenerate itself. I lost mine for 3 weeks or so and was induced 4 days late.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That sounds more like normal discharge. I could actually feel my plug pass, like a big period clot. It looks like a huge wad of snot, about the size of two large cotton balls.
    Even if that was your mucus plug, it's not an indication of when you'll go into labor. It can regenerate if you lose it early enough.
    That said, I went into labor a few days after losing mine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Your plug usually has a little blood in it, and it could be hours or weeks before labor who knows...
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2009