How do I know if it is not a period?

I am starting to wonder if my period this month ISN'T my period, but something a bit more serious... I have had a very strange couple months w/ my cycle - last month I had two periods, this month I started spotting and did that for two and a half weeks, before it started, and when it DID start, it didn't seem "right"... Very few clots, lots of bright, BRIGHT red blood that is thin and not period-like, lots of dark blackish-blood, and I am not cramping or retaining fluid or any of those regular (for me) pms things. And this has been going on for a week straight, on top of the almost three weeks of spotting. I'm starting to wonder if the bleeding isn't actually a period, but something like a rupture or something. How would I know it is something to see the doctor about? I have irregular periods anyway, so I just don't know if it is worth the money to go and have them tell me its just "one of those things"...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Health

• Even if you have very heavy bleeding there probably isn't anything they will do. They may give you a shot that may or may not help. They won't do surgery until you have lost a lot of blood. I went to the ER when the doctor's office told me to because blood would run down my legs if I stood up and held bunches of pads on myself. My son is a RN and EMT and he couldn't believe how much blood I was loosing. They did nothing.

I had to have a biopsy a few weeks after I stopped bleeding to make sure it wasn't cancer.

You could try going to Planned Parenthood. Their NP are usually very good and they charge on a sliding fee.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2009