Whats the best detergent for removing stains, budget friendly if possible

I have recently been trying to find cheaper detergents that will remove stains from my family's clothing. I used Gain for a long time but it just seemed like it stopped working as well. Then i switched to Purex(liquid) but that didn't satisfy me. So i have been using Sun with Biz stain fighter but that hasn't been working either. What would u recommend? i've researched it & alot of people say Tide is the best but its sooo expensive. Please help>>>>>>

Asked by mamalisa80 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I use ERA. When it's on sale it costs $10.00 for a huge bottle that has a pump on it.

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Original Dawn Dish Detergent - it's kitchen sink dish washing detergent. My sil suggested it years ago to get a chocolate stain out of a pretty pink sweater of mine. Have used it for stains every since.

Sometimes two drops of Dawn without any other detergent are put in my washer on heavy duty wash to the long wash and long spin to help scrub out the stain. But it makes a tremendous amount of suds so keep water level at medium and don't overload washer.

Largest size costs about 4 dollars tops. Good Luck!!!

Answer by lfl at 1:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I actually like Arm and Hammer (which is fairly cheap, with the exception of generic/store brands, which cause my kids to break out and itch) and some SHOUT. I just haven't found anything better than shout for stains, so I stick with that.

Answer by 2bme at 3:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I really like Kirkland Signature(Costco Brand) Consumer Reports also said it was one of the best detergents on the market it's very much like Tide.

• i did the dawn dishwashing liquid and it really did take 3 nasty grease stains off of a shirt.

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Arm and Hammer with Oxiclean in it works pretty good and is not expensive, you can often find it on sale too

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Rub your clothes with cold water and then rub in a little liquid detergent. Have you tried soaking your clothes prior to washing? My machine has a soak option or you can turn on the water and then stop it prior to washing. Pour a cup of vinegar into the water and let it soak for 30 minutes. then wash as usual. Pretty sure your stain will come out. I love to use steam from an iron as well. If they are greasy...put a towel in between your clothes and the iron and it will take it right out...steam the heck out of it. its free.

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Fels Naptha soap. You get it by the bar soaps. It is amazing to get out stains.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A friend of mine got me hooked on this new eco-friendly stain remover called Winning Colours Stain Remover and it works on every stain I have had so far. I went to their website to find a store near me and used their store locator. Here is the link:

You might enjoy seeing these videos too to see what it can do (you might want to see the first one - it shows spaghetti sauce being removed): , , and

Answer by JulieB34 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2009