how effective is getting your membranes swept?

i have an appt. tomarrow to check my cervix and sweep my membranes,
i am due the 20th and i want this baby out now!! i have heard its kinda painfull so i wanna know is it effective enough to bother? someone told me if u are already progressing that labor will happen within 12 to 24 hours after, is that true?
what was your experience if u have had this done, does it work?? oh and this is my second baby, dont know if that makes a difference or not?

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It works for some and it doesn't work for others. I believe it helps if you walk after :) I had Chloe the day after getting mine stripped. She was also 6 days overdue.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I had that done with my first. It was pretty effective. I was past the point of the diarrhea and losing my mucus plug, so my doc stripped my membranes and within a half an hour I started having noticeable contractions. I was between 2 and 3 centimeters dilated.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 1:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I had it done with no effects. Then again my babies tend to be really stubborn and not want to come out. I was induced with all three. It really wasn't that painful for me, but I hear it is very painful for some people. Good luck.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 1:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i never had it done myself. from what i have heard from others, it can be uncomfortable-not "painful." and it it did work with bringing on labor.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009