Can you please help me especially if you are a handy woman or have a handy man around the house?

I am a sahm and really have lots of time on my hands. I would like to give our bathroom a make over a cheap make over I don't have the money to really make a complete change but alittle paint and a good cleaning will do.
But my probleim is that our bathroom has wall paper it seems to really be stuck on there so I was hoping to maybe paint over it and the trim has this dark 1970's light brown color wood and so does the cabinets. Just something simple, quick and easy...Oh and right behind the toilet bowl on the actual wall there is a big hole that my dh has been putting off (due to a leak in the A.C. at the time)....Thank you ladies so much for your ideas and help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The big hole- they have drywall/sheetrock patches. Not too expensive. Walmart sells it over by the paint/home improvment area. Just follow directions

Wallpaper, remove it before painting or it'll look like painted wallpaper.

Wood, you can sand and stain it if its too light. Not too hard but a lot of detail/tedious work.
    Anonymous

• If you put water and downy fabric softner in a spray bottle and saturate the wall paper with it you should be able to easily remove it. I would not recommend painting over the wall paper, I tried that before and it just didn't turn out. As for the large hole, I think I would try and have hubby fix it. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• You CAN paint over wallpaper, but it's not always a good idea. Wall paper will peal, & it will peal MUCH easier of there is paint on top of it.

You can easily paint over the trim with a primer before painting over it in your favorite color. I'm interested how your 70's trim looks. I might like it...lol.

Some paint already has primer in it. You can always go to a home depot & ask someone there. They always help me with my handy projects.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would strip the wallpaper... Use fabric softener... I know it sounds goofy, but it works. Then lightly sand over the area. As for the paint, that is easy. Go to wal-mart and get the color you like. Get masking tape to tape your edges and ceiling. For the trim: Lightly sand over all of it, being that brown lacquer it will be difficult to cover. I recommend using a primer before trying to paint over it. When you are ready to paint, choose a finish of paint that is easy to wipe off... NOT FLAT. Wiping flat paint strips it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• im painting my bathroom taupe and im painting my wood trim stark white and the cabinets i'll paint black. if the wallpaper is really stuck or just dont feel like peeling all off, heres a site i found.

http://www.myhomeideas.com/general/painting-over-wallpaper-10000001813335/index.html
    Anonymous

• There is a product called Dif that will help loosen the wall paper; then just scrape it. When all of the paper is off, use TSP to clean the glue residue. Then primer and paint.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yeah, we have a room in our house that has painted on wall paper from I think the 1930s or so. (Our house was built in 1900!). The paper bubbles, and you can really see the lines. It doesn't look good. I don't recommend doing it because it won't hold up - even if it looks nice at first it won't last.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A power steamer will make short work of getting the wallpaper down. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-500-Watt-Demand-Steamer-Cleaner/dp/B000I618NY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261077372&sr=8-1 and I bought it for cleaning.  It's amazing for cleaning grout and steaming floors and shower doors.  I use it all the time.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I painted over wall paper, and its held up for the last 6 years. We put 2 coats of KilZ on first and I think that is what helped... you could give it a try...lol
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2009