When did you switch from formula to milk and may I have details? Thanks.

imjustme0502

Asked by imjustme0502 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies can't have milk before thay turn 1. After they turn 1 they don't need to drink milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Human babies drink cow's milk formula as a substitute for human milk just so they will survive. It is a substitute for human milk. They don't need cow's milk.

If you do give your toddler cow's milk only 2 servings a day is the recommendation. Toddlers love so many things with milk in them like yogurt, cheese, mac and cheese, pudding, ect. that it is hard to limit a toddler to 2 toddler size servings a day just with food. When toddlers drink milk they can have problems with constipation, anemia, and other digestive problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's better to wait. No real need to switch.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We started the transition around 11 months. There isn't anything "magical" that happens on their first birthday that suddenly makes it okay for them to have milk - I did talk to my ped before starting. I originally breastfed and then my son self weaned at 9 months so we had to go to formula in a sippy. At 11 months we started using 3/4 formula, 1/4 milk and then gradually increased the milk and decreased the formula as the days went by. He had no problems adjusting to the switch at all and now he LOVES his milk! (so much that I have to limit it or he would choose to drink all day)

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well, I agree that you shouldn't do anything until your baby is at least a year old... After that though, I switched mine. Started out with 3/4 formula, 1/4 milk for a couple of days, then 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk, etc. After a week, he was completely off formula. They do recommend you only give them 16 oz of milk (WHOLE milk) a day though. Mine gets 4 oz in the morning, 4 oz in the afternoon, and 8oz at night before bed. He's 15 months now.

I don't believe cow's milk is bad for us. I drank TONS of milk growing up (straight from the cow, even), and it certainly never harmed me. Matter of fact, I think it helped in making me tall, with super strong bones :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• WOW! So many different answers....another question, for those that did part milk, part formula....did you mix the two together? This milk thing is very challenging because I used to love milk and now I can't drink it. My husband doesn't drink milk at all...(hmmm, maybe that's why.... well, that a whole other question). Anyway, I appreciate all of your opinions. Cameron will be one tomorrow. What about Rice Milk?
    imjustme0502

Answer by imjustme0502 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I started giving tastes of dairy around 10 months (in mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, etc) just to see if they'd have a reaction. Around 11.5 months or so, I started mixing a little bit in the bottle - they all took 8oz bottles, so I'd put 7oz formula & 1oz milk - not every bottle, but a couple a day. Every week I'd add another ounce of milk. At the same time, I was putting the formula in a sippy cup to wean them from the bottle at the same time. They never had a bottle of only milk, they were all off the bottle before they hit all milk. I warmed it the same as I did the formula, but gradually gave it to them cooler & cooler, so they'd eventually take it cold.
    Anonymous

• It's better than dairy =) Cow milk is for cows. Humans don't need it. They just use it as a source of fats but there are way healthier places to get that.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes - I mixed the formula just like I always did and then just added the milk to it. When we went to all milk I did give it heated at first and then gave it to him colder and colder until now he takes it out of the fridge.

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• For all 3 of my boys I waited till after their 1 year checkup and the doctor said it was ok to switch to plain milk. I never mixed the formula with milk, when the last of the formula was gone, I gave them milk.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed, so I wasn't switching from formula to milk, merely adding milk to their diets - - I did, however, mix some breastmilk in to give it a familiar taste at first. It didn't take long - my daughter LOVES her whole milk! She gets a glass of it with each meal now. My son will start on whole milk next week (he turns 1 this weekend).
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009