I'm a little worried about Christmas day.

We are celebrating Christmas with my family this year and I am starting to get worried because my sister and her husband buy my nephew everything he wants for Christmas (I looked on his Amazon.com list and he asked for 25 things and all but 3 have been purchased for him). My BF and I like to keep it simple and give my stepkids only a few things each. I am worried because my nephew will have so many more gifts to open on Christmas and I'm afraid it will be awkward for our kids. Has anyone run into this before and how would you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• when we go to the inlaws on christmas eve, they buy my kids 1 present each..and get neice and nephew tonssss ( because they live with them ) ...so last year my daughter did get a little jealous, especially when neice ( who is 6 years older than daughter! ) started basicaly rubbing her toys in her face...so we just kept reminding her santa will bring her presents the next morning because she was soo good, and not to let it bother her....which I think it still did, but she was fine after we left...

glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Could your sister only give a few modest gifts at your house and give the rest at her house?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry this is a tough one. Maybe you should tell your Sister how you feel. She might have no idea that you felt this way.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• When our kids were little and we traveled on Christmas Eve through after Christmas, we opened our gifts to kids and each other at home and left all but one at home. Then whichever relative's house we were overnight at for Christmas Eve and after the kids opened our Santa gifts and gifts from relatives.

Give what you can afford not more. I had cousins when I was a kid who just never like their gifts from relatives.

If you can afford three gifts then give a small amount of cash for fun spending, a small book, and a small game. When my nephews were little a long time ago their parents always asked that no toys be given just clothes. My husband said (brother to that father of nephews) hell with that those kids deserve toys to open on Christmas Day and he made sure they had some.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think how most people handle gifts is that their immediate family opens presents from each other seperately and when you get together as a family you open gifts that you gave each other only. This makes it more personal for the house hold members and it makes it less awkward for other extended family members. Of course you can't tell her what to buy for her child but you can say hey lets just open the gifts we give each other and the kids together and save the rest for home.
    Anonymous

• Yep, I requested that the kids not open the gifts in front of each other. It just causes problems.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would get lots of little things for your kids to open.
    Anonymous

• Part of the problem is that we are all spending several days with my family. My sister and her family won't be home for Christmas so they ship all their gifts to each other to my parents house. My BF and I decided that it didn't make sense to ship gifts to my parents house just to ship them back after Christmas so we are having the kids open their gifts here before we leave. I know my skids will realize my nephew won't be opening his gifts at home beforehand, they will still see the obscene amount of gifts he is given and I wonder what to say to that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009